Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

From the council website:
Haringey Council has launched one of its biggest ever environmental campaigns by doubling or trebling street cleaning in every residential road in the borough.

The new service will see cleaners from the council’s contractor Enterprise clearing litter from every residential road once or twice a week, in addition to the existing once a week street sweeping service.

The initiative follows a successful litter pick trial in five wards around the borough and should lead to much improved levels of cleanliness in roads across Haringey.

Official litter levels in the five trial wards - Harringay, Bounds Green, Seven Sisters, St Ann’s and White Hart Lane – have more than halved since the introduction of the pilot service last autumn.

The council will be working with Enterprise to monitor closely street cleanliness in roads around the borough checking that similar improvements are made elsewhere.

The litter pick initiative will be carried out as part of the Better Haringey environmental improvement campaign. This has seen more than £20million invested in making improvements to the borough’s built and natural environment since 2003.

The new scheme also follows Haringey’s publication of a draft Greenest Borough strategy, setting out how the borough can best address a wide range of environmental issues over the next 10 years.

Cabinet Member for Environment and Conservation, Cllr Brian Haley, said:

“We’ve said we want to become London’s greenest borough. Now we’re backing up those words with actions.

“We’ve invested heavily in the environment since we launched the Better Haringey programme five years ago, and considerable improvements have been made. But we know we’ve got to do more to improve the quality of our streets and make people proud of where they live.

“The twice weekly cleansing service has made a major difference to standards of cleanliness in the five pilot wards, and I expect people will now see similar improvements elsewhere in the borough.”

But Cllr Haley also called for the help of residents and businesses in keeping the borough’s streets clean.

He added:

“We have set ourselves new standards of street cleanliness here. If people feel that we haven’t met those standards, then I would ask them to get in touch with us so that we can take action.

“But the biggest improvement of all would come if people didn’t drop litter in the first place. We’ve installed hundreds of new bins across the borough through the Better Haringey campaign and I’d urge everyone to use them.”

Doug Taylor, Operational Director at Haringey Enterprise said:

“We are really pleased with the improvements in street cleanliness that have been demonstrated by the pilot schemes. We are working closely with the council to ensure that all of the borough’s roads can now benefit from this improved service.”

Residents can report any problems with street cleanliness by calling the Enterprise call centre on 020 8885 7700.

If the trials for Harringay were those anounced in January, then the unofficial daily monitor, Mrs Litter, can assure everyone that litter levels are still unacceptably high.

Haley needs to announce this at the same time as launching a high profile anti litter campaign like those seen in Berlin (see blog, Mrs E fancies something more imaginative), and give more thought to how to engage residents to tlak to them about not dumping household waste in bags that split and spread waste all over the road and with local businesses that generate a lot of waste, like fast food outlets about their customers (and maybe picking some of the waste generated by their shops as a gesture of goodwill).
Picking up after people teaches them that someone will always clean up after them; getting people to take responsibility...now that would be the 'war ' won,

Tags for Forum Posts: Accord, Enterprise, Haringey council, litter, rubbish collection

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I observed the same thing recently, this guy was proceeding up the street. He did stop to pick up large items like bottles but as you said the machine proceeded up the middle of the pavement.
Shiny new technology?

Leaving behind this , for example, (brown stains are what you think they are)
What's left after the sweeper has passed

and

these remnants of someone'e tea,

Green Lanes, 2.35 pm After the sweep...

ans so on up the road.

I have observed some attempt is made to clear up around bins but small bits like cig ends and sweet wrappers are left behind.

Yes there are council monitors of cleaning, but in the first instance I usually contact Dasos Maliotis, the neighbourhood mananger with a cc to ward councillors
dasos.maliotis@haringey.gov.uk, who is pretty good at giving feedback and following up complaints etc.

Yet, what is not working is the fact that too many people are still using the streets as a random litter/rubbish dump and that is the part the Council seem reluctant to engage with.
Sorry to gripe but I have lived in the borough since 1988 and there have been several anti-litter initiatives of this kind over the years. I can't say that overall things have got much better after any of them. I live a few houses from Green Lanes and when the wind blows my garden fills up with litter - sometimes I have picked up a carrier bag full more than once in a day. My hedge seems to be a regular dumping ground for cans and even burger boxes. One thing that bugs me is that once litter has blown off the street into my garden it is ignored by the street sweepers even if it is just over the "threshold". I now tend to kick it back into the public domain...
I used to go to Holland Park regularly and they had a dedicated sweeper for every few streets who worked every day. Needless to say, even a stray leaf had little chance of hitting the ground. Now I know that sounds a bit like Singapore, but I think if it's really clean it does make people think twice about dropping their own litter.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service