Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Alroy Road - over capacity of building plot (HMO?) please help....

Hi

I hope that you can help. The (non-resident) landlord of the premises next to my home has appealed against the demolition of his outhouse which he recently erected without planning premission. It's a single storey brick construction with a flat roof, seperate rooms and uPVC door and windows and has been painted, therefore, in my opinion, intended for habitable use. As soon as the construction commenced I informed the council (this was Jan 2007). The building is almost the entire plot of the back garden. It overlooks my property and over shadows my neighbours garden.
We have read on this site before that there is an increase in HMOs in our neighbourhood, often exploiting poorer residents who have to live in sub standard accommodation. This landlord is only concerned with maximising the profit from rent from his housing plot wiithout any regard to his neighbours or tenants. It of course also puts off potential purchasers or tenants for our homes in the future.

I would be grateful if you would also appeal on the following link below. It can be very quick, even something like, "I am concerned about the increase in HMO/ over capacity of housing plots in my area, exploiting poorer residents by providing sub standard accommodation."

In case that there is a problem with the link, the appeal no. is 2068405

I have photocopied the letter from the coucil and sent to all my neighbours. I was thinking about starting a petition also. If you have any more ideas or experiences I would be very grateful of your help.

Many thanks.

http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/ViewCase.asp?casenam...

Tags for Forum Posts: appeal, capacity, hmo, housing, of, over, planning, plots

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, Colin, have made a general representation on this one.
Me too and have messaged the Action on Housing group to come and read your post.

I presume that you have included the councillors in your campaign, and the resident's group for Wightman Road WRN4 may be interested
Thank you both. I did ask Karen Alexander for advice and she said a petition was a good idea so I might get on to this next. I guess I could submit this as part of our appeal before the June deadline?
Sorry to hear about this Colin, it sounds awful. I've made a general representation. It would be ridiculous for a case like this to win - what sort of message does that send out about the need for landlords to obey the planning process? I really hope the appeal isn't successful - do keep us posted.

Do you border onto the railway line? So isn't the building in question even nearer? Must be noisy..
I have made general representation too. I believe Alroy Road is part of the Ladder and so a part of the restricted conversion area.
Hi All,

Thanks to all who put in a general representation. The appeal hearing is the 25th of November (all day it seems) and I can't make it - aaaaargh!

My neighbour can make the afternoon, but i wonder if any of you kind folk have ever/ or could attend on another person's behalf? Are there any other Alroy Road people on here?

I spoke to Cllr Alexander but she can't make it, though she did give the valuable piece of advice that a representation would help us.

I hope you can help.

C
Some good news - landlord next door lost his appeal. Building must come down. Hurrah!
Nice one! Next: The battle to get it done...
Shouldn't he get fined at least as well? He knowingly broke the law and he could have been renting it out in the mean time (since building started in 2007) and earning money from his law breaking. He should be forced to take it down ASAP and fined.
The judgement should be publicised too to put off any other slum landlords. Perhaps the local paper might be interested?
That's not a bad idea - don't know how interested they would be, but worth a shot. Depends if Colin would feel comfortable suggesting it as the next door neighbour??
The judgement has not been published yet, but I believe it has to be pulled down or he will be prosecuted. I have had a bad experience with local journalists so I don't want to speak to them, but perhaps Cllr Alexander would like to? She is close to the case.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service