Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Residents are now being invited to comment on the council's new draft Tree Strategy, which outlines how the council will manage, maintain and improve the 40,000 trees in its streets, parks, woods and housing estates up to 2011.

The strategy also sets out plans to increase community involvement in the management of the council's trees, including developing its Tree Warden scheme and establishing a new community tree nursery.

Residents can view the new strategy and give comments by visiting www.haringey.gov.uk/drafttreestrategy. The consultation closes on Monday 7 July.
Figures from the coucil website:
Since 2004, there has been a gradual increase in the number of new trees planted, particularly street trees, where 741 more trees have been planted than were removed. In Harringay, 147 new trees were planted.

In 2008-09 the council plans to introduce 75 more trees in Alexandra ward, 50 in Fortis Green, 75 in Seven Sisters and 50 in Northumberland Park. Targets for 2009-10 are for 75 more trees for Highgate, 50 for Noel Park, 75 for White Hart Lane and 50 for Tottenham Hale.

Anyone wishing to find out more about the borough's trees can contact Alex Fraser, Principal Arboricultural Officer, at parks@haringey.gov.uk.

Tags for Forum Posts: consultation, tree strategy, trees

Views: 47

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Every now and then, even after more than seven years here and generally feeling very much at home, I see something that makes me feel as if I've ended up on some weird alien planet. This happened in recent days, when walking down Fairfax Road towards Green Lanes, and seeing that about a dozen huge noble old trees have once again been maimed by mad pruning. Whatever species is in charge of this place seems to have a deep antipathy towards trees, or towards life in general.
More trees, yes — but let's also have some respect for the trees we already have!
I have to say I agree that the treatment of trees we already have is a bit bizarre

This picture of Burgoyne Road show trees mercilessly chopped back and yet this is a big wide road. A little gentle TLC would have done I felt especially as most days you are wading through rubbish below. A better use of their time would be to pick up the litter and other stuff and leave the trees alone.
Oh how quaint ... a patchwork pavement!

When were the trees cut back? (in which month)
Isn't this pollarding? In which case a possible justification might be that "Pollard trees may attain much greater ages than maiden trees, because they are maintained in a partially juvenile state, and they do not have the weight and windage of the top part of the tree.".
These trees always seem to look like this, can't remember when they didn't!
As to Pollarding, well, any tree experts on the site?
It looks a bit extreme to me but then what do i know?!!
Yes it is.. But, the trees shown on the article still have "some" branches left..

and.. Pollarding is sometimes abused in attempts to curb the growth of older or taller trees. However, when performed properly it is useful in the practice of arboriculture for tree management.
Hi Liz,

Yes, in this day and age, and so long after the storms I would of thought that culturally trees were treated better and more of them planted - loads and loads of them...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service