Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Taking advantage of the lovely weather to get out with the family, I am appalled at the disgusting state of Green Lanes. There is litter everywhere including broken glass and old nappies and the litter bins are overflowing, not to mention all the commercial waste that is piled up. The surrounding streets aren't much better as there is litter, beer cans and dog mess all over them and the Passage clearly was not cleaned last Friday (which I have already complained about). I am sick of wading through filth with my children and it is time that our streets are cleaned properly. And blaming the Bank Holiday is not good enough, it is only one day and the accumulated filth that is on the streets has been there for days. It seems that Accord have given themselves a nice long weekend to the detriment of the community.
I urge you to do as I am going to do and email the neighbourhood manager dasos.maliotis@haringey.gov.uk about the DISGUSTING state of our streets.
According to the GMB Haringey streets are the 'dirtiest in country'
and I, for one, have had enough of it.

Tags for Forum Posts: Green Lanes, Harringay Passage, broken glass, cleaning, disgraceful, filthy streets, litter

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, after a nice day out over at Springfield Park coming back to filthy so-called Green Lanes can be a real let down.
Not to mention the choking fumes from the stationary vehicles, 'shopping' at the Arena.
And the hoards of menancing looking men! Mine you, a talk of yesterday when it appears a Turkish football match must have been (on the tele) from their league. Think my kidz found it all a little intimidating.
Hi Liz,

This is no reflection whatever on Dasos Maliotis - for whom I have great respect. But can I suggest that anyone emailing with a complaint about dumping or litter might want to start "at the top" with people who have power to make something happen. The Director of Urban Environment is Niall Bolger - Niall.Bolger@haringey.gov.uk . The member of the "cabinet" responsible for the refuse collection and street cleaning is Cllr Haley - brian.haley@haringey.gov.uk .
(Obviously, routine reports to get dumping cleared can be done through the Council's website, or over the phone.)

I haven't been in Green Lanes this weekend. But purely going on what you describe, it would seem that the timed waste collection is working poorly. If so, this is something I'm very much concerned with, since we have the same system in High Road Tottenham. (Where I'm one of the councillors.) Obviously, if this is not delivering, it's essential to learn why.

Matt re-posted my dumped mattresses photo from Flickr. (Which is entirely okay; it's in the public domain.) But on Flickr I'd added a comment specifically about timed collections. I suggested the need for continuous engagement with traders, landlords, agents and residents including tenants of flats and rooms above shops. This is vital especially in areas with a high turnover of people who need to be informed and educated about the system.
Alan, I agree that this is certainly not Dasos' fault, it lies with the contractors who for some reason have allowed rubbish to pile up and rubbish breeds rubbish, for example, a pile of dumped household stuff in Pemberton Road has gradually been added to over the weekend. (It may be that those who don't understand the law/system actually believe that this is where rubbish may be dumped for collection.) The amount of discarded beer cans, beer bottles and broken glass in the Passage and surrounding streets suggests it was a mistake not to extend the 'no drinking zone' to parts of this ward. A small group of youths have found a spot to perch (as teenagers will) by the scaffolding in Cavendish street resulting in their rubbish accumulating there and so on. It may be unpalatable to the contractors (as it would mean paying overtime) but a holiday means more people out using the streets and therefore rubbish collection (which in my view is an essential service) should be increased at these times not stopped. There also needs to a massive campaign in as many languages as it takes, to stop people using the streets as a rubbish dump. I also have to say that the nature of the rubbish dumped (mattresses, suitcases, old clothes, household items,) suggest that it is the landlords round here that are the biggest culprits and the council needs to engage with them both in terms of education and enforcement.
I have worked hard to get my rubbish down to virtually nothing using the recycling facilities, composting and avoiding overpackaged items and I signed up to the community volunteer programme as I think it is a good idea but it feels like a losing battle (I'm actually picking small dumped items off the street and putting them in my bin myself!).
Further to this, I have taken your advice and forwarded my email to the those people suggested above. I received an email from Dasos promising to investigate and I have every confidence that he will. I also saw a lone cleaner working his way down the passage this morning and doing a fine job of clearing up (save for the odd bit of dog poo.)
I can't help feeling that part of the problem here is that there is no identified pressure group made of residents and users to push the issues surrounding Green Lanes.(She is a bit like a problem kid that all the agencies get round and discuss for an hour and then go home leaving the kid still facing the problems. )
I started the ( named in a slightly tongue in cheek way) I love green lanes to pull all the threads together and highlight major issues, demonstrate the volume of traffic about Green Lanes on the site and provide a place for people to find contact info. It could even act as an online resident's assoc/ friends group as Green Lanes doesn't have one. One way or another, we have to keep on complaining and pressuring for action.
I'm getting more than a little fed up with these discussions about rubbish around Green Lanes because it is NOT improving. Maybe the only way is via the ballot box.
And in the meantime, there is the council inbox. We have to keep on about it on this site and elsewhere ( and I'm pretty convinced that these discussions are read by more 'influential' people than we think, although Alan is the only one who regularly engages thank you Alan.) or they'll believe we've given up. It is a joke, trying to be the 'Greenest Borough' when they can't even get the rubbish picked up. A few hanging baskets and a new tarpaulin on the bridge is just window dressing when the rubbish is piling up round your feet and the kids are picking their way through broken glass and dog mess. Hugh can point to the volume of traffic on this site about the issue when he speaks to the GLSG on our behalf over the survey and so I think it is worth going over again and again.
Hi all.

Was struck by the same thing this weekend. Stroppy letter sent to enforcement (with whom I now feel I have an intimate relationship after our various dog poo exchanges). Have copied to the email addresses given. So fed up with this. Is hardly rocket science.
maybe if the council made roadsweepers actually work instead of strolling down greenlanes pushing there barrows it may help .
there are cigarette ends all over the pavements and are never swept up along with black bags placed on side streets by the people living in the houses there.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service