Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What happened to the letter to residents about dog fouling and rubbish dumping?

Last week after I reported three lots of dumped rubbish near the entrance to the passage, and having just negotiated my way up the Harringay Passage with a buggy and a small child, expertly avoiding the large amount of dog mess, it suddenly came back to me that on the Wednesday 20 February 2008, a press release from the council announced, "the council has sent a letter to residents to report those who do not clean up after their dogs in the Haringey Passage or who dump rubbish there." I fell to wondering what happened to my letter? Then I re read the press release and saw that it said 'a letter'. Of course, just the one! How silly of me! So which lucky resident got the letter, (personally signed by Councillor Canver I should hope)?
And if anyone sees a street enforcement officer out and about , please take a photo so I know what one looks like.
They didn't just issue that press release to keep us quiet and hope we'd forget, did they? Surely not? No councillor elected to serve their community would be so cynical, would they?

btw, the reference to 'Haringey Passage' was cut and pasted from the council website before the local pedant and the sad git start making complaints. I hear there is a new head of communications. Hope he knows the difference between Harringay and Haringey!

Tags for Forum Posts: canver, disappearingletters, dog poo, dogfouling, harringaypassage, pressreleases, rubbishdumping, streetenforcement

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We managed, after some effort I admit, to fit a double mattress into our car on Sunday night which was accepted by the recycling centre on Hornsey High Street (they seem to take everything except paint which we have to wait for the City of London guys to collect).
I mention this because double mattresses seem to be the most commonly dumped thing and yet they are relatively easy to dispose of.
There is more about the Hornsey Recycling station here. Sad to think that they may turn it into a Sainsbury's soon.
Yes, I know but putting things in your car takes effort (and you may not have your own transportation) so rather than pay, it gets dumped. After all, why pay a small fee to do the right thing when you can put it in the street and the busybody (i.e. me before anyone takes offence) up the road will even phone the council for you? The other thing I report regularly are tvs and computer monitors which the council will pick up FOR FREE (along with white goods) and you can book a pick up online.
With no enforcement and no one paying fines for dumping rubbish, where is the deterrent?
Wasn't you that got the letter then, John?
Different letter from the nice ones you may have received. Yes, it was me. They could do me again as we have just re-carpeted and so there is stuff out the front waiting for a trip to the Hornsey recycling spot... you are right Liz, there is no deterrent, it is just recycling pedants like the missus and myself who feel obliged to do this. Transport is sometimes an excuse but not often. We wonder how many half filled tins of paint have ended up in landfills after what we have had to do to get them "recycled".
Council are looking at relocating recycling centre to Tottenham Lane just around the corner.

Do you have the contact details for 'City of London' regards disposal of paint John?

(020) 7332 3433

This page from Wandsworth council is good.
Cheers blue
I didn't get 'the' letter either. I did contact Clr Canver about the website piece, specifically about how they were going to ensure compliaace, and did point out that nobody I knew had received the mysterious letter. Her reply is below (no mention of the letter - I have emailed her back about that!).

Dear Alison,

The reason why we ask members of the public to inform us of any incidences of anti social behaviour is so that we can use the intelligence to gain a picture of where and when it occurs. Using this intelligence Enforcement officers then liaise with our Partners, namely the Police to try and patrol when we believe there is the greatest chance of catching someone offending.

If it is not clear, I apologise but under no circumstances would we encourage or suggest that members of the public should challenge an individual or group that is carrying out anti social behaviour or follow them to their home putting themselves at risk.

In the past, Environmental Crime officers have leafleted and patrolled the Ladder area with the Police looking for this type of offence but have only witnessed compliance by dog owners. When challenged, dog owners produced a bag and cleaned up after their dogs.

Please feel free to let us know of any location and time when dog owners frequently offend and the Team will prioritise these days/times/locations for their patrolling activity.

If you have any further queries on this matter or intelligence please do not hesitate to contact Enforcement officers via these e-mail addresses.

Ian.blake@haringey.gov.uk and tony.chapman@haringey.gov.uk. If one is on leave or off sick the other can respond to your email.

Regards

Cllr Nilgun Canver
Cabinet Member for Enforcement and Safer Communities
I wonder if it is worth emailing those two officers to ask when the next patrol will take place and suggest very early in the morning and after 11 at night around the Infant School between Pemberton and Mattison.
You read my mind, have done already. Someone seems to have it in for SHJS at the moment.
Just got this reply from Tony Chapman re dog mess .. Have emailed back to ask if the GL newsletter (what is this, anyone know?) is the only form of communication they are planning about this ..

Hello Alison

Officers have patrolled early morning and late evening in an attempt to catch the minority of dog owners who are causing problems.

I have written an article for the spring edition of green lanes news letter which is due to be distributed next week. The brief article requests that residents let us know where and when the dog fouling problem occurs. I have forwarded your email to the area enforcement officer to take a look. Meanwhile you can access the news letter through Haringey's web site. Follow links to Neighbourhoods and then Haringey and St Anne's.

Thank you for taking the time to notify us of the issues. The best way you can send in information is by using our mail box which is enforcement@haringey.gov.uk

Kind regards

Tony
The newsletter is this
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/green_lanes_strategy_group_newsletter_is...
although I'm not sure how this is delivered to people, or whether only Green Lanes properties get it as I haven't had a copy through the door. There is a big piece on the passage in it.
Great - so long as people are given a copy. Otherwise not a very effective way of communicating with residents!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service