Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This from Glyn (posted with his permission):

Dear All,

Attached are a list of all properties on the `Ladder` with three or more doorbells. Obviously this does NOT mean they are all properties converted into HMO`s without planning but a number of them may be.

We will be passing this list to LBH for their consideration.

Some illegal conversions however may not have door buzzers at all so if any of you know of suspected illegal conversions near you that are not on this list, please forward details on to us and we will add them.

Glyn.

Tags for Forum Posts: burglary, hmo, housing

Views: 473

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So 6 people living in a four bedroom house does not constitute an HMO?
Should this be published publicly? I don't know what this will achieve.

My next door neighbour is on there and I know for a fact there's only two flats!

As I've said before I don't think its HMOs that's the problem, it's certain people and properties.
Since this is going to Haringey Council, I think It's worth people knowing it's out there. What's the downside? I'll take it off if there's something I hadn't thought of.
I dare say there's a few houses out there who have put a new doorbell on and haven't taken the old one off, lets hope they don't get an early morning call from the old bill: )

I put a new one on about six months ago, good job I took the old one off. He he!
Well, I guess they're going to get the call. So forewarned is forearmed, I thought.
The idea of coordinating the police with council planning and enforcement is not a bad one. I live opposite an illegal conversion to bedsits, there is an enforcement order on it (to retrun to a house - not act on), there was drug dealing that the police were involved with - but it is not on this list. Happy to pass the info on if I knew where.
David, you can contact Glyn on this site. He's a member as "Glyn". Or if you go to the Navbar on the main page, you'll find a link there to the local Safer Neighbourhoods team. Or Glyn can be contacted by mail at Glyn.Kelly@met.police.uk.
What's the HMO team? How can we contact it? Like Davidj, got a couple of places I'd like to point out to them.
i'm sorry but i happen to agree with the councillors post. lets get a list of all dog owners as well because they 'maybe' fouling our area.

my keyboard is pooped, hence no caps.
If the good councillor was doing something about illegal conversions, or at least seen to be doing something... I would sympathise too. Where I come from if you illegally alter a building or take the mickey with your planning consent then the council gleefully force you to take it down (and the public get to watch and applaud). A cynical person may wonder why this is not the case here...
Above comment by moi deleted by moi .... at request of a higher office. :)
I can see from the debate taking place at the moment that the list of HMO’s has caused quite a stir so I think it is a good idea to let everyone know the reasons behind it’s compilation. Firstly over a number of years this issue has raised its head at every meeting my team has been to with complaints ranging from anti social behaviour including drug dealing and prostitution to the non-compliance of planning laws. It would appear to the community that no action is being taken by any party to address the issues but I can assure you that the police will take appropriate action and have done so on a number of occasions when offences have become apparent, and LBH have been working hard to enforce the planning rules which is a lengthy process.

The problem is no definitive list of HMO’s is in existence so our first step will be to compile one that is as accurate as possible. This is the first stage in that ie identifying houses with three buzzers or more. We realise at this stage that they will be a number of inaccuracies. In posting it on this site and sending it to the KINS we hope to make it more accurate through feedback. We will also be conducting further research on information supplied by various sources and premises identified by the team on patrol. Once the list has been completed the following issues will be addressed.

Firstly the issue of burglary offences on the ladder road has always been a problem with figures being exaggerated by burglaries committed at HMO’s, To explain a bit further if a person breaks in to a house that will count as one burglary, if a person breaks in to the front door of a HMO and then enters the four flats inside that will count as four burglary offences so the plan is to attend all these premises offer crime prevention advice and equipment and hopefully lower the number of offences being committed this will have the knock on effect of lowering insurance premiums for everyone and make people feel safer in there homes.

And secondly and I think the main issue is the public safety side, many of the illegal HMO’s do not comply with planning regulations so will have no fire doors alarms lighting exits or fire fighting equipment so if any fire was to start inside it would quickly spread with a obvious risk to life which could also put a substantial risk to neighbouring properties. This is an area where we will lease with not only local planning enforcement but also the London Fire brigade who will install fire alarms free of charge.

Leading on from this it has been bought to our attention that a number of illegal HMO’s have been illegally connected to the mains gas and electricity supply using stolen meters and sub standard wireing and piping with the risks being obvious. Your SNT has contacted EDF Energy and they have agreed to attend all of the identified premises with us to check the installations free of charge.

So as you can see the list is not designed to pick on people it is to address crime and safety issues on the ward, we will probably attend some address that are not HMO’s but a quick knock on the door will discount them. But please remember this action we are taking could save lives and reduce crime what more can I say.

PS Pyles

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service