Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just came across these folks. Anyone passionate enough about local archiecture and planning to consider forming a local group?

Civic Trust Home Page

Tags for Forum Posts: civic trust, local ideas, visual character

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They've been going since 1957. I'd heard of them before but never really knew what they're about. There is a local group set up in Tottenham which you can contact via Joyce Rosser on the 020 8347 7684 or email jrosser@lineone.net
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to try and achieve "Purple Flag" status for Green Lanes?
What's a "Purple Flag"?
Does that involve a mix of the red & blue flags? Mix a little Labour with a little Tory and you get UKIP.
Ha ha you comedians, I just followed the link that you posted Hugh, to the Civic Trust Home Page.

They have a section called 'evening economy', where you'll find information about purple flags.

Follow the link I've added & you'll see what I'm talking about
Attachments:
Interesting Peter. Thanks
That's very useful. Our area or Grand Parade would be an interesting project for this.
I agree with Matt. An excellent starting point for 'El parade grande'
I must say all of us (including me) seem to be nodding our heads sagely and not much else. Perhaps we can pick this up on 4th and see if it's something we oughta do something about or whether other priorities come higher.
Bit harsh, H :). I've been reading the stuff on the website both about the 'night economy' project and their work in general and it seems like it could be very useful.
If we could get Green Lanes viewed in a different way not as a demarcation line between two residential areas or as a through road on the way to somewhere else but as the centre of a community with a day and night life that involves all of us then I think we would be getting somewhere. From my admittedly very skimmed reading of the material, so far, this group could help.
Un peu harsh, moi? Jamais. Well, sorry if I've been harsh, it was mainly directed at myself.
Faut pas dire...Haringey council already operate the Green Flag Award which is run by the Civic Trust but (having done a search on the website) that is all I can find. We should find out if The Civic Trust operate anything else in the borough and who manages it on the council if they do.
In terms of priorities, without proper planning then all the stuff that gets complained about on her just keeps coming back e.g. Harringay Passage. One strand of action is of course to pressure the council to fulfil their obligations and enforce their own rules but if one thing has become clear to me recently, everyone, including this present government recognises the need for planning to come from the community and not be done on behalf of the community in the traditional rather paternalistic manner that has been the case in the past.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service