Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We just found out from our neighbour, that his friend was mugged last Saturday, around 11pm, while walking past Harringay Passage. He was dragged into the Passage and had his phone, wallet and other valuables stolen. The police acted quickly and searched for the attackers but they were too late. Whas it just an isolated incident? It would be interesting to know what are the crime statistics for this area.
I've lived on the Ladder for over 4 years and felt quite safe here, even when I had to walk alone from the bus stop late at night. But now I am rather scared. I know taking a cab is the safest option after a night out but it's expensive. What we need is more police presence and better street lighting to prevent crime in the first place.

Tags for Forum Posts: crime, passage, safety

Views: 473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bloke stabbed in broad daylight on Oxford street yesterday had just come out of the McDonalds. Not 100% sure but according to what I read in the NZ press he was a security guard who had thrown them out earlier in the day.
I have spoken to the person in day to day charge of the Wood Green Shopping Area about their security system. It has been going 12 years and they have 60 radios linked up to mainly to shop owners. They are the eyes and ears and as soon as trouble brews it is dealt with. When an incident is reported by anyone of those people with a radio the nearest people move in on the trouble. I even saw some of these people today patrolling Shopping City. The police are also linked in.

Arena Shopping Centre doesn't have this yet but the Community Officer for that area (Dasos) is aware of the Wood Green scheme. If people here believe this would benefit the Arena area then he is the person to contact.
Thanks for this Matt, I think that we should definately speak to him about this. Given that there have been problems with tempers flaring at busy times as well as incidents such as the McDo, I for one think there is a need for this.
OK, I'll mail him to see if it's possible to get a ball rolling on this and get back to you.

If anyone else would like to meet Dasos (community officer) on this issue let me know here.

Thanks.
Sad to hear about this incident though it's nothing new. I have been living on the Ladder for 16 years and there have always been sporadic incidents of muggings but it's probably no worse than any other area in London.In that time a friend and a family member have been mugged(both womenand both after drawing money out of a hole in the wall)and I know of four residents in the street who have been attacked at different times.Most but not all muggings do happen after dark and where assailants can find places to hide and surprise people.There are some precautions you can try taking which may work.If you feel vunerable walk in the middle of the road-traffic permitting-as there is more light there and visibility for detecting an attack or beating a retreat. At the Haringey Passage you can't see if anyone is lurking (Even though mirrors were put up in some of the streets to help, they dont work)so before reaching this point walk in the road until you've passed it.Often muggers attack if they perceive vulnerability.The way you walk may influence whether you are attacked or not. If you look nervous or vulnerable you may be targeted.Walking with a purpose or even semi -jogging may put somebody off targeting you.Every time I walk up the road after 10pm I have my keys in my hand visibly and audibly so,and this may deter someone from approaching you especially if you walk confidently.I always look round to check whether anyone is following and if they are and I have a gut feeling then I would cross the road and wait for them to pass on the other side just to be sure. As a person who has studied and taught Tai Chi for twentyyears and more I would recommend it over self defense classes purely on the basis that it works on calming how you are and how you respond in given situations. Being calm may prevent attention being drawn to you. I have never needed to use the arts I have been trained in. Finally I think that developing friends and links in your street getting a sense of community can add to the sense of confidence we have about walking in our streets. If you do know who lives in every other house or every few houses even just by sight this can increase your feeling of safety,knowing that if heaven forbid you did experience trouble you would only be a shout away from someone who knows and is prepared to helpyou.Hopefuly Haringey Community is fostering this coming together of our streets
Well said Paul.
Mary

I just wanted to say how shocked I was to read your email and how sorry I feel for your daughters. What a horrible thing to have to go through – for them, and you as well.

It is so upsetting that people treat others like that, and that others can watch it happening. I know I’d be gutted that the staff were as uncaring as you describe, even after any risk of personal danger to themselves was over. I’ve got a little boy and it just makes me cringe thinking about something like that happening to him.

I can see there has been a lot of debate on here about when/whether you should intervene, who is responsible etc. and I totally take people’s point about the dangers of getting involved. But wouldn’t it be wonderful if so many people showed their disapproval that there wouldn’t really be that much individual danger? Wishful thinking I know, though I did see it once on a train!
OK, for me this was about McDonald's irresponsibility when it comes to their customers. I'm not going to advocate it for anyone else but wife (who seems braver than me) and I intervene where we see fit. About a month ago we were walking up Wood Green High Street 'en famile' and I saw ahead that she had grabbed a young girl (15? 16?) by the arm and was going apoplectic with rage and indignity - this was just for littering within 3m of a rubbish bin. Young girl gave as good as she got but in the end, only one of them was a lazy litterbug. She was with two friends though, who stood there open mouthed and gawping not saying a thing.

OK, so don't do this... but yes I agree, intervening makes life better for us all. Danger, smanger. More chance of being runover by a bendy bus as long as you're not silly.

This has been my pet topic for the week and I need to wean myself off so I'd better make this my last post on it. I feel guilty that we've not heard from Hugh and he's probably in some meeting with well paid barristers from Putney intent on ruining someone else's high street.
I last saw him walking out of the Ladbrokes on Green Lanes at 8.45am : )

Again, slightly off topic, I parked my spanking new bike outside Maplins a few weeks ago and locked it up with a really pants lock. I came out of the shop to find my bike on the floor and the lock litterly pulled apart.

A very kind man who was sitting on the bench next to the bike rack challenged the thiefs and scared them off, leaving my bike there. I couldn't have thanked that man enough and proved that there are caring people out there who are willing to stand up to the face of teenage fear.

Myself and my wife have interviened in situations on a few occasions when it needed to be done.

BTW, I bought myself a new expensive lock for my bike : )

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service