Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Council take the Traffic Bull by the Horns........or was that the mouse?

This from Haringey Council's website today:

Haringey Bans Turn in New Road Safety Scheme
Monday 18 February 2008

Motorists will be banned from pulling out across traffic in one of the borough's busiest roads under a new safety scheme announced by Haringey Council.

The council is banning motorists from turning right from Lothair Road South, N4, into Wightman Road in response to concerns about safety in the area, particularly for pedestrians and cyclists.

The scheme, which is being introduced following a consultation with residents in December 2007 and January 2008, also includes widening the pavement in Lothair Road South by the junction with Wightman Road, to stop drivers ignoring the "no entry" sign into Lothair Road South.

Cabinet Member for Environment and Conservation, Cllr Brian Haley, said:

"Wightman Road is a particularly busy road and we believe this scheme will significantly reduce the chance of accidents there.

"It should also reduce the amount of traffic in Lothair Road South and make it a more pleasant place to live."

Work on the road safety improvements is due to start later this month (February) and will take around two weeks to complete. The council is now sending letters to local people to explain the scheme.

Anyone wanting more information can contact M Sri on 020 8489 1239 or email streetscene@haringey.gov.uk.

Alternatively write to:

Haringey Council Traffic and Road Safety Group,
River Park House,
1st Floor South,
225 High Road,
Wood Green,
London N22 8HQ

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, council, haringey, lothair, traffic

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This does seem rather small fry compared to what needs doing with Wightman Road. I had not noticed this junction as a problem - cars pulling out of every other ladder road, and the speed of traffic certainly is, however.
As you say, cars pulling out of roads into traffic are a problem, especially when they make right hand turns. This road is used as a short-cut to bypass the round about at the end of Wightman Rd where it meets the park. If you used this short cut it would on average make your journey time shorter IF you were extremely aggressive about getting out onto Wightman across the southbound lane and joining the northbound lane BUT it made everyone else's journey's slightly longer as they had to 'let' you in.

There is very little I think they can do about the traffic problems we have because they are mostly caused by the sheer volume of traffic. If we close off streets we just compound someone else's problem. What we should concentrate on are ridiculous short cuts like this and the enforcement of the 7.5t and 20mph limits.
It does make sense to me, although I totally agree with other points about volume of traffic etc. I've often seen cars coming out of Lothair Sth blocking the southbound traffic on Wightman Rd in order to turn right (and did nearly collide with one when on my bike).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service