Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How do people feel about the removal of free parking bays on the ladder roads? I know parents at South Harringay often used to use them when dropping off or picking up children. We usually walk to school but various families, especially those in temporary accommodation may get moved out of the area, but want to keep their children in the same school, and I would support this.

I only really noticed for the selfish reason that I used to use one outside the church on Wilberforce Road, for when my children had piano lessons. The church are not very happy as they had requested free parking so that the various groups that use the church could use it.

On the other had, for those living near them when they were sited outside residential houses maybe they were a real nuisance. I can understand this, I enjoy walking down the alleyways, and find it safer to cross where the road narrows, but with my non-Green hat on I resent losing a parking space outside our house, which borders the alley.

Also, some free bays seem to have been replaced with pay and display. I can't remember where I have seen them, are any half way along the roads, or are they all near the main road ends?

Also, I think they have put up the charges on these meters, and that it used to be a two-tier system, with those parking near Wood Green shops having to pay the higher rate. It seems to be £2.10 for an hour everywhere now. Can anyone remember what it used to be?

I suppose the bit I am most fed up about is that, despite my and, presumably plenty of others objections when the consultations came round to ending parking restrictions at 6.30, when all of us who live here know that Green Lanes is the 'street that never sleeps' and the restriction should probably be increased to 24 hours (well maybe just 20) - despite all this the restrictions still end at 6.30 now, and I remember nothing in the consultations at all about removing the free parking bays - does anyone else remember? And if it wasn't in, why have the consultation and then do something not mentioned in it, for heaven's sake? I stand to be corrected if it was included.

Tags for Forum Posts: free, freeparking, ladder cpz, parking, parkingbays

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I shall consider myself targetted and buy an FoE decal then!
Too late, the militant wing of the organic hand-knitters have been alerted and they are coming round with the yoghurt.
I can feel a "Guess the task No.2" coming on....."anyone out there handy with a tow truck, dark clothing..........................".

Except the Council may consider putting up the annual residents' parking fee to £46,700 pounds for you, Hugh, yours being the only car left of course to fund the traffic management scheme at Sainsburys...............
Hmmmm...........now that would change the matter altogether.
Reposted From Member Page:

At 12:20pm on 13th February 2008, Angela Ryan Headteacher SHJS said…

Two weeks ago the local authority removed all free parking bays next to the junior school, the swimming pool and the church. Neither the church, nor myself were aware of this change. Since the action of removing the free bays, it has become impossible to accommodate visitors from outside agencies we regularly work with. I have had to send away visitors. Some visitors have cancelled appointments because there is nowhere to park. The after school swimming club may loose revenue, which will affect the school budget and possibly force the governing body to close the swimming pool. I am forced to let some visitors and parents use the playground to park. This is unacceptable and a health and safety issue, considering all after school initiatives running at our school.

The school has no car parking facilities. From April, once again with no consultation, the local authority intend to limit the number of allocated permits to the school and increase the cost from £25 to a maximum of £600. The consequences of these actions would be a certain loss of staff. The staff and I have worked hard to raise the standards in this school and have been very successful. My staff travel great distances, often carrying exercise books, (X60) laptop and other resources.

As a school we are committed to improving the environment. We are involved in a plethora of projects from composting, to developing breathing spaces, and walk to school initiatives. But I also have to consider my staff’s well-being and safety. Those of you who are under the illusion that teaching staff start at 9am and finish at 3:30 I am afraid I need to enlighten you – The school opens around 6:30am staff begin to arrive from 7am. Services for pupils begin at 8am (Breakfast Club). Staff are always in school early to prepare classrooms, once the children leave, staff deliver after school clubs, mark books, attend meetings etc., If you pass my school in the evening you will still see the lights on way past 7pm. Teachers are working! Holidays – we can use the playground – Yes we do come to work during school holidays!

I was not consulted on any of these changes. The changes that have happened and the proposed changes make my life as a Headteacher difficult. I want this school to be a high achieving school in which the community can be proud of. I need to be able to retain and recruit exceptional staff. Any support from the local community would be gratefully welcomed.
I raised this issue at the LadderCommunitySafety Patrnership meeting last night at which the councillor Carolyn Baker was present. I have passed on Richard's initial comments to her as well as the details of one of the parents(with her permission) who has organised a petition protesting the loss of these parking bays. I will draw her attention to Angela Ryan's post above and urge anyone who would like to add their support to contact Carolyn and/ or Karen Alexander which can be done on the pages on this site.
At 11:20am on 15th February 2008 Carolyn Baker wrote on Liz's page, "have sent a members enquiry on this which I have cc'd to the Cabinet member for the Environment etc. Either myself or Karen will also ask an oral question at full council on it once we have some more details and as soon as it can be tabled. Karen is currently on holiday and I am away next week, but when we get back I will try to arrange for K and I to speak to schools. I understand that in conjunction with this there is a problem with increase in parking charges for teachers/service deliverers etc. which I have also asked about."
Following some sterling work from councillors and the chair of governors at SHS, it may be that we will see a solution to this issue which hopefully be acceptable to all. Tony Kennedy has agreed to look at the situation and discuss it with Councillor Haley. Watch this (parking) space.
Parking won't ever be free again mind!
If you drive your kids to school in Camden the school give you a special pass that they have been issued by the council to hang on your rear view mirror so that you don't get a ticket for parking in the residential bays.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service