Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How would you feel about gating the passage ways of the Ladder? I could be completely wrong (as I don't use the passageways) but it appears to me that there are more costs than benefits to having free access to passways. They are poorly overlooked and offer too many opportunities to a criminal - no escape routes for victim in the passage way, quick escape route for criminal from street. These areas could be kept for wheelie bin storage or something more creative instead.

Tags for Forum Posts: crime, design, dog poo, ladder, new river path, passage, the, urban

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Matt, is that your hand I see going up?
For what?
Opening & closing the gates, as per Glyn's comment.
My concerns with the New River being open 24/7 was the potential for someone to be dragged in there and become the victim of a sex attack.
Likewise any robberies victims in there could have ended up in the river.

Getting back to the passage there was a victim of a sex attack in the passage near Burgoyne a couple of months ago
Yes but Glyn there was also a quite nasty domestic incident going on along Falkland Rd recently. Obviously we don't close off Falkland Rd to pedestrians.

I know that the police have made noises about gating the passage. It would make your job easier of course.
I dont have a stance on it. Just pointing some pluses and minuses out to people
Yes and useful it is too since you're at the sharp end of crimes commited and have knowledge of where it happens and how regularly. Maybe we could look at the crimes stats at an up and coming Ward Panel mtg for the passage (?).
One inciden on Falkland Road. Many incidents on the passage.
I rest my case. ;)
One recent case. ;)
Let's be careful about drawing Glyn into debate here. I think it's great that he's contributing. But we must apprecaite his position. He is simply not able to enter into debate or have a personal opinion.
Just out of interest, I think they lock Finsbury Park up every night, does that stop any criminal activity? Woodlands walk is also open 24/2, not that I would walk down there at night. These kinds of spaces are vital in urban areas and it is all too easy just to close them down because of what might happen.

I know it's larger and easier to break in, but we should not be deterred in creating great spaces because some people will abuse them.

As far as I know the new river path from Hornsey Station to Allison Road is never closed and how many bodies have been dumped in there?

I would love to see the rest of the NRP open although I do understand a lot would have to be done in order to make it safe, secure and workable for local residents and not create a hotspot for criminal activity. The NRP is open in certain sections so I would assume the same problems affect them as would the closed sections.
"If you look you'll see that their walls adjoining the passage are quite low, so they'd need to be built up and maybe even have spikes along the top .... where would it end?"

Which in itself provides great cover for a mugger who is praying on a person walking up the road.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service