Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (473)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Pubs on Conway Road?

On the Harringay Levels there are a number of houses which look as though they were once shops or pubs. I'm particularly interested in the…

Started by Ozbawn

15 Jan 9, 2023
Reply by Xavier

How Woodberry Down Got its Name (and maybe Manor House too)

Over on another thread, a discussion started about the origins of the Woodberry Down name. This happened to coincide with some occasional r…

Started by Hugh

106 Jan 4, 2023
Reply by Hugh

Cavendish Road Cow Houses

I'm sure that most of you who are local will have at some point walked, cycled or driven up Cavendish Road and noticed the cow heads that…

Started by Hugh

19 Dec 28, 2022
Reply by Hugh

The Sound of the Stonebridge Brook Still Flowing under Harringay?

In response to a post yesterday about the old council depot on Wightman Road (opposite Effingham), I posted an outline of the building's hi…

Started by Hugh

20 Dec 27, 2022
Reply by cavendishmark

Meet Britain’s little known "Queen of Hearts" after whom Alexandra Palace was named

I recently watched a fascinating documentary about Queen Alexandra, Edward VII's wife. Beyond knowing the basics, I previously knew almost…

Started by Hugh

5 Dec 2, 2022
Reply by Kirsten Forrest

A Harringay Laundry List - Potted History of the Hawes and Curtis Site

Looking north towards the Hawes & Curtis site (behind the trees) c1920 I don't have a detailed history of the Hawes & Curtis site.…

Started by Hugh

12 Nov 26, 2022
Reply by Joanna Bornat

New Hornsey Historical Society Book with chapter on Harringay | NOW AVAILABLE

The new book's front cover with an image showing the archive room in the Society's Old Schoolhouse HQ building. The Hornsey Historical So…

Started by Hugh

0 Nov 11, 2022

Interesting old bricks spotted on the Passage

photo: @parksidemalvern The Parkside Malvern twiter account (run by the residents' association for the Hornsey Park area, just to the nor…

Started by Hugh

2 Nov 8, 2022
Reply by Alyson

Enamelled Hornsey Station sign at auction

A nice item if this is your sort of thing and you have the the £650 estimated sale price.

Started by Hugh

3 Oct 26, 2022
Reply by John Shulver

Behind the hoardings at the Queen's Head

I've been researching and writing up a piece about the Olympian Gardens that used to occupy the space next to the Queen's Head. I wanted to…

Started by Hugh

15 Oct 16, 2022
Reply by Richard Woods

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service