Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Yet another image of the old library which was first opened on 28th September 1907. It was built at a cost of £10,000 of which Scottish businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated £8,000. The architect was Charles J Gunyon.

Prior to this library being set-up a public library was opened at the town hall in 1892 and a reading room at 86 High Road in 1895.

In February 1917, Army authorities took possession of the library for use as a central recruiting office for Tottenham. Wood Green, Southgate, Hornsey, and Finchley. They also used it for 'National Service purposes' (whatever that might have meant!).

The library was demolished in 1973 as part of the last Wood Green Town Centre redevelopment. It made way for River Park House, originally called Sunley House.

Clipping from London Middlesex Gazette October 5,1907.

Views: 256

Tags (All lower case. Use " " for multiple word tags): old wood green library
Albums: Historical Images of Wood Green | 1 of 2 (F)

Comment by Michele on February 5, 2018 at 23:14

What a beautiful building! Especially compared to the current one.

Comment by Hugh on February 6, 2018 at 2:20

It's hard to believe now, but Wood Green did have some handsome old buildings.

Comment by MF on February 9, 2018 at 8:54

This is really sad. We need a Andrew Carnegie for 2018!

Comment by Renato B on February 9, 2018 at 18:55

Loved going there in the 50's and 60's.

Comment by Richard Woods on February 10, 2018 at 9:20

Today's Carnegie is Bill Gates? But all these Wood Green pictures fill me with sadness for what has been lost. It was a handsome place in its day.

Comment by Tony on February 12, 2018 at 13:36

What a lovely building it was.

Used it a lot in the early 70's before they demolished it.

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Harringay online to add comments!

Join Harringay online

Advertising

© 2022   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service