Before the pool was built, an old house used to stand on its site. It dated back at least to the 17th Century. The fact that it was variously called "Moat Cottage" and "Moat House" in the nineteenth century suggests that it might have had an even older provenance. (The nearby Ducketts Manor/Farm also used to have a moat and it dated back to to Medieval times).
Moat House and its grounds were purchased by Wood Green Council. Various proposals were made for its use, but eventually a dust destructor (waste incinerator) was erected in 1908 and the pool was built and opened in 1911. (The destructor went on the provide the power to heat the pool!)
The pool eventually closed in 1997. The building survives in use as a banqueting venue.