David Greig was the supermarket chain founded by the Greig family of Hornsey.
The location was Greig's mother's shop, opened in 1870. The address then was 3 St Mary's Terrace (now 32 High Street). The census of 1871 has David still working as a house joiner and living in Islington. So, apparently, he wasn't a very active parter at the start of the business (if he was one at all).
By the late 1960s, there were more than 220 Greig shops across the south of the country. However, following the death of several of the men in the family in quick succession and the crippling death duties that were incurred, the company was sold in 1972.
David Greig was a notable philanthropist, leaving trusts for the benefit of Hornsey and the community. These have contributed to the Greig City Academy in Hornsey.
A commemorative plaque has been placed on 32 Hornsey High Street, the site of the very first Greig shop.
In the photo above, the shop on the far right of the photo is, in 2020, Tiffin Tin. At the other end of the terrace is what would then have been the recently rebuilt Three Compasses.
Add a Comment