Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Earlier I was trying to sort out some bits and pieces about the Ever-ready that used to stand on the corner of Warwick Gardens & St Ann's Road. I noticed for the fist time that when first built St Ann's hospital had a recreation ground which stretched to the other side of the railway line. Pondering it afterwards I thought there were some similarities with the 1619 map of Tottenham. In particular I was interested to see how well the St Ann's land map today maps on to the old field boundaries from the 1619 map.

I was surprised at quite how well they matached. The thing that had alerted me was the little triangular field juist to the south of the current railway line. That matches almost exactly with Beechfield Road. But it's not just that. Look all over. Not only are the matches startling, the accuracy of the 1619 map is a big surprise to me.

Below is a crude animation, mapping the old map over the new. The more you look, the more incredible the match. The animation will keep looping if you missed something the first time round.

Views: 486

Replies to This Discussion

Funny Hugh. I just finished reading Wolf Hall and one of the comments made in the book about maps of the age were that none showed North on them, so you did not know what the relative orientation of any map was. Intersting to see the old 1619 map 'upside down' as it were.

It is odd. North is up seems so natural to us, but no reason for it to be that way I guess. And thanks for the tip on Wolf Hall. Looks worth a read.

Not sure if they all thought the world was stil flat at this point.... Possibly the issue, that and I am not sure of they had magnetic compases at that point either.

Wolf Hall well worth it, I love the weaving of history and fiction. Great book.

Even the Ancient Greeks knew the Earth wasn't flat.

The magnetic compass was in use in the 10th century.

Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth more tha 2000 years ago ( but in stadia, a unit of length unknown to us, which was cunning of him since we can't tell how accurate he was, or wasn't )

just a thought..

Perhaps the position of London in relation to Tottenham is the reaosn for the South /North layout of the map?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service