Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have loved Paul Robeson 's voice since I heard it as a kid on my Grandad's 78s; Old Man River, Shenandoah.
Even as a child his voice sent shivers up my spine and 35 years later, it still does.

So I was very excited to spot that in 1949 on April 17 and 18 Paul Robeson performed at the Harringay Arena

To give you a flavour this is Paul Robeson singing Old Man River:

and here he is at St Paul's Cathedral.

This was one of the great voices of any age and he performed right here in Harringay

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay arena, paul robeson

Views: 452

Replies to This Discussion

Here's Robeson quoted on that concert (and some other stuff):

"As a consequence of my activities for Negro freedom, I had 86 concerts cancelled out of 86. Of course, these were very special concerts. I don't blame the auto barons in Detroit for not wanting to pay to hear me when I was in Cadillac Square fighting for the auto workers. I don't blame the iron-ore owners of the Michigan and Minnesota iron-ore ranges for not wanting to hear me when I was on the picket lines for the steel workers of these regions. And so with the packing house owners of Chicago, or the ship owners of the east and west coasts, or the sugar plantation owners of Hawaii.

Well, they can have their concerts! I'll go back to their cities to sing for the people whom I love, for the Negro and white workers whose freedom will ensure my freedom. I'll help, together with many other progressive artists, whenever I can get the time from freedom's struggle, to show how culture can be brought back to the people. We created it in the first place, and it's about time it came back to us!

Today the fight is still on for peace and freedom. Concerts must wait. There is a fierce political struggle which must be won. However, I decided to go to Europe to resume my professional career for a very short period, in order to make it perfectly clear that the world is wide and no few pressures could stop my career. Let's go to the record: Albert Hall (London) with it's 8,000 seats sold out twice with a five dollar top; 10,000 in the Harringay Arena; thousands turned away all over Europe -- the most successful concert tour of my career.

...I finished my professional tour at is height and announced that never again would I sing at a five dollar top, that I would sing at prices so that workers could come in comfort and dignity. I did this because I belonged to working people. I struggled as a boy in the brick-yards, on the docks, in the hotels to get a living and an education. Ninety-five per cent of the Negro people are workers. So I said that my talents would henceforth belong to my people in their struggle. And I acted on this. Thousands and thousands came. That's my answer to the bourbons who think they can end my career!"

Address at Welcome Home Rally, Rockland Palace, New York City, June 19, 1949, under the auspices of the Council on African Affairs.

He was obviously fond of Harringay. A dedicated communist, he was back at the Arena in 1950 singing at the 20th Daily Worker rally.
You knew that the great man sang here and you didn't mention it before now. Well really, very shoddy...

I shall be doing a pilgrimage to Homebase tomorrow to pay homage.
(and he was never a member of the communist party, not sure about my Grandad though...)
Noop - your discovery, Liz. Just dug around a bit and came up with that on the back of what you came up with. As a result I also learned that the Arena seems to have been used as a venue for Daily Worker rallies for a few years - I think at least 1950 + 1954.
Well I'm slightly mollified by that news...imagine 10,000 people.

And now its 10,000 people driving round in circles after buying a bit of tat at Next or Sainsbury's.

What we have lost...maybe I won't go to Homebase, it might depress me too much.

Programme for this concert now upoaded.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service