Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anyone know whether women were allowed into the pubs during the war years.  Someone mentioned to me that they could only go into particular bar/lounges.  Is this true?  Names of pubs would be helpful.

Thank you for your recollections and info.

Julia

Views: 545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I seem to understand that women didn't go into Public Bars which were generally more basic.  Instead they used Lounge Bars which were better furnished.   But I also seem to recall seeing "Ladies Bar" etched into old pub windows.  And pubs back in those days consisted of several separate bars, all partitioned off.   There must be remnants of old pub windows with etchings still in place.    I'm surprised there are no comments here to your query.  Our local was The Salisbury, Green Lanes, so maybe have a look at that for starters.  Of course there were far more pubs around then and some must have original plate glass in situ.   Good luck.

I remember that there was a pub in Byres Road, Glasgow, where women were not allowed in. This was until 1955 at least.

In 1972 I went into a pub in Glasgow with another woman and as we entered the barman shouted " whisht! Ladies present!" at which point the hubbub died down and it went silent, all eyes were on us. None of the men were actually hostile but everything stopped, so we ordered a shandy, downed it quickly and left to hear the noise build up again as we were out of the door.

My father, born 1927 and brought up in Walthamstow & Leyton, asserts that his parents went to the pub together every Saturday night.  He has no idea whether a woman could enter a pub alone at that time.  Actually, the pub-going only began after they moved to Leyton, I'm not sure of the exact year but well pre-war - 1933-35 perhaps?

He doesn't like to remember these pub times as he was generally left outside in the street to fend for himself.  On the other hand, in Walthamstow his parents belonged to something called the Buxton Club which welcomed families with children and he has good memories of those times.

I remember reading that unaccompanied women could legally be prevented from buying a drink in a pub until around 1980, although in practice it was seldom enforced.

There was a line on the floor in the bar of Muswell hill golf club house  in the 80’s and 90’s which designated the part of the nineteenth hole women couldn’t tread. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service