Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Today's planning applications list shows an application for the use of this triple shop premises as A3 (Restaurant). So it seems that what the owner told me a few weeks back may not have been the whole truth.

I'm told that the application is being submitted by an operator who is already running a restaurant elsewhere in North London.  The plans are for it to be another Turkish / Kurdish operation.

The traders I've spoken to seem split on whether another Turkish restaurant is a good thing or a bad thing. 

Tags for Forum Posts: fairline

Views: 4626

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who are the "regular white folk" Christopher?

How funny, the PC brigade jumped right on the "regular while foks" bit, but not a word about Turkish gangsters.. interesting. So trafficing and drugs is less serious than accidentally not being 100% PC at all times. Oh dear..

Anette...I've not made any comment on the seriousness or otherwise of gangsters or any of our kurdish or turkish neighbours. What I was questioning was the term "regular white folks" simply because I don't know what it means. I've not heard that phrase before.. whereas the terms "gangster", "kurdish" and "turkish" are descriptive phrases I'm familiar with so there is no need for me to question any of those.

I'm also not commenting on the suggestions or otherwise being made by christopher..I'm in no position to comment on those views.
Hope that clarifies for you.

By the way, am not part of any brigade, pc or otherwise

good for you, Paul. Good for you.

????

Thanks, I think

Anyway, back to my original question.... what did you mean by "regular" Christopher? Not meant in any way to be accusatory as suggested by Anette, I'm just interested.
Ahhh ....all makes perfect sense now....

Thanks Anne!

My comment was meant to suggest that while the Met Police (famously institutionally racist) would turn a blind eye when people of Turkish ethnic group ran protection rackets preying on other Turkish people (or, indeed, any people of colour), they would not find it as easy if the gangs targeted regular (which I used in the American sense, meaning "ordinary") white people. I apologise if my use of the words were seen as racist. They were certainly not intended to be. What I am _for_ is everyone living peacefully together; what I am _against_ is any criminal gangs running protection rackets or drug trafficking.

I wasn't accusing you of being racist. I'd just urge caution if using terms such as 'regular' or 'ordinary' when discussing ethnic groups/origins; by using them you're effectively implying that those you're not referring to are 'irregular' or 'out-of-the-ordinary'... which some may justifiably take offence to and see as demeaning or derogatory terms.... after all, most of us just want to feel (and be described as) 'normal'.

Anyway - semantics aside, completely agree that the thought of organised crime in our midst is an unsavoury one. Is there much evidence that that does still go on round here? I'm aware of much talk of heroin cartels etc 'running' the area in the 80's and 90's but thought much had been done to clean the area up somewhat and move that on from here?

OK, Paul, on the issue of semantics, how do I describe a person who is in no way remarkable? I can't use "normal", I can't use "ordinary", what adjective do you suggest? I don't see terms such as "ordinary" or its opposite "extraordinary" as being value-loaded in the way you suggest they are. And, speaking purely personally, I would rather be "unique", or "remarkable" or "extraordinary" than "normal" or "unremarkable" or whatever. I would suggest you are being overly sensitive. But then, having just "checked my privilege" (white, middle class, university educated etc etc) obviously I am so massively privileged that I have no right whatsoever to comment on anyone who is "not white" or "under-privileged" or of any other class etc etc etc. Anyway, as Hugh points out in another, later post, everything I've said about gangs controlling drug dealing, people trafficking, protection rackets etc etc etc in London is all vanished into the past, and we live in a golden age where there is no organised crime, be it organised around ethnic groups, postcodes, families or in any other manner. Does make you wonder why all that crime continues to be reported, though, doesn't it?

I’m not entirely sure how this conversation took a turn into a discussion of “remarkable” or “non-remarkable” people? Who is remarkable? Who isn’t? In your original post you were describing the Turkish/Kurdish business community (unless I’ve misunderstood you?) and then made your reference to the ‘regular white folks’… that’s the differential I’m referring to. I merely asked for a qualification of what “regular” means in the context of ethnic differentiation. I’d not heard that term before – I was intrigued to understand what exactly it was intended to mean. There was no accusation being levelled, and you’ve apologised to those who may have been offended by your comments.

I don’t think I’m being overly sensitive and you don’t think your terms were value-loaded; indeed I’m sure you didn’t intend them to be – but they could very easily be construed that way – that’s all I’m saying. You’ve every right to comment on any group of people, as you see fit regardless of your own perceived privilege or otherwise – I shall not interfere in future…

I don't really know enough to comment on the level of organised crime in the area to be honest

Where's your data Christopher? All I see is still tittle tattle.

I'll miss Fairline's good prices on fruit and veg. Do we really want more people pouring onto Green Lanes, with all the extra traffic, parking problems and air pollution? Green Lanes is congested, jammed up and polluted by fumes from traffic as it is. Of course, Haringey council will just allow anything so long as they keep raking in money from business rates.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service