Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As I was walking past Tesco yesterday, past the youths that congregate around there, I was once again so disappointed to see drug deals being made openly on the street. I know that this is not a new problem, but I just don't understand why it is allowed to happen there. All the time.

I'm just wondering if any of you long-time residents of the area could enlighten me on the status of policing the area and why kids can just stand on the high street and deal so openly. Boggles my mind. Thanks!

Views: 4345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's start off with 1960's strength marijuana available over the counter at the pharmacy and some limited prescribed harder drugs for the most challenged addicts.

Lots of studies say it will cut crime by 50% over night.
But what if you're not an "addict", you're just a regular recreational drug user who wants to get high at the weekend...where do you get your drugs? I really am trying to understand but I just don't see it.

From a pharmacy or similar licensed premises where proper ID checks and safety advice are provided and the chemicals are clean and actually contain what they're supposed to. Obviously these don't exist here yet, but look at the model around cannabis in the US and you can see how that sort of business could be created and continue to operate.

How do they handle supply in those US states where cannabis has been decriminalised?

A doctor's job is to cure sick people, not to pander to lifestyle choices.

If someone dies from hyperthermia brought on by ecstasy prescribed by a doctor or supplied off-prescription by a pharmacist the relatives could easily sue the doctor or pharmacist for providing a non-medically required dangerous drug.

Not going to happen.

In 2011, there were 8,748 alcohol-related deaths. I'm quite sure that the sellers of that dangerous drug have not been sued.

I understand that you may criticise the use of a readily-available drug to a prescribed one, so I thought I should also point out that in the same year, antidepressants were a factor in in 352 deaths. And again I do not believe that anyone was sued as a result.

As an aside, 26 people died in 2011 from causes related to 'ecstacy-type' drugs. That will include adulterated pills, which are far more dangerous than MDMA, and this number of deaths would go down if there was regulation of the market so that people understood what they were buying and were advised on safe use - just the same as people are with prescription drugs currently. The risk of hypernatremia and hyperthermia would fall if people were educated and not just scared into disbelieving the information disseminated.

(Statistics from here.)

Oh dear, I'm in that "I sort of agree with everyone" position. Of course the argument that drugs are illegal is a cause of some criminal behaviour is right. Before the prohibition of alcohol in the USA there was no reason for criminal gangs to exist, but as soon as alcohol was made illegal organised gangs sprung up like mushrooms overnight and then disappeared as soon as prohibition ended. But we are also where we are at the moment.
I think that a some of us may have lived near houses where dealing took or takes place. In my own experience a lot of pretty awful behaviour took place, from annoying banging on the door at 3 in the morning to full on fights when someone hadn't paid up.
The young guys you see street dealing are just the lowly foot soldiers. They make a heap of money for a couple of years before their career ends either in prison, addiction or floating face down along the river Lee. We don't see the real drug barons. They're the ones with huge houses up in Whetstone.
Michael, I feel reasonably confident that you would have done the same thing as M in his/her position..am I right?....sorry M wasn't sure of your gender there!
I'm not sure Antoinette. As annoying as I find dealers I'm not sure I want these young blokes to enter the world of into prison/out of prison/into prison. There has to be a better was a handling it like making an area less attractive for the activity.
But isn't that much more an indictment of the shocking state of our prisons where instead of educating and treating drugs issues we just make them worse. Indeed the fact that there are many examples of individuals who go into prison clean and come out addicts is shocking. I'm a paid up member of the Howard League for Penal Reform, an area which has really minimal public support. "Why make the lives of prisoners better?", asks your average Daily Mail reader....well primarily because if you dehumanise them in prison, they commit more crime when they come out and don't get the opportunity to make a real contribution to society.
I entirely agree. If prison is about punishment, that punishment is also also inflicted on the families of those in prison when the prisoner comes out a more adept criminal and/or a user of drugs that make cannabis seem like Diet Coke in comparison. If it's about reforming (which I would hope it is) it fails woefully.
From my own experience, a member of my family was sent to prison for a relatively minor crime. She came out a changed and broken woman, unable to take up the care of her children again or form relationships.
I don't want to further hijack Flowermama's thread by launching into my own tirade about my own pet subject (the state of our prisons) but it can be summed up in 3 words - prison doesn't work. Just thank your lucky stars we don't live in America.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service