Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Here's 'behaviour change' with a vengeance!

A woman was fined over £900 last week for dropping a cigarette on the pavement and failing to pay her penalty notice.

Cllr Nilgun Canver, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods,said:

"People seem to think it's ok to drop cigarette butts in the street. Well it's not ok. It costs the council a lot of money to sweep up this litter and I hope this fine will make people think twice before throwing a butt away in future."

On Thursday the 5th of August Haringey Council Enforcement Officers spotted Kristina Djemal of 13 Charmwood Road, Enfield, throwing away a cigarette in Wood Green High Road and making no attempt to pick it up.

The officers were in the middle a litter patrol exercise with local police at the time.

Djemal was advised that dropping the cigarette was a littering offence and issued her with a fixed penalty notice of £75.  

Despite reminder letters being sent, the fixed penalty notice was not paid, and the case was referred for prosecution.

Although Djemal failed to turn up at court on December 1st, Tottenham Magistrates found her guilty of littering and she was fined £525.00, with full costs of £382.00. A collection order was also granted, providing for bailiffs to visit the home to collect the money.

Tags for Forum Posts: litter

Views: 716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This makes my blood BOIL with MURDEROUS RAGE AAAAAAARRrGhhhhhh !!!!!!!!
THIS headline is misleading and without reading the following article, actually false. The smoker was not fined £900 for dropping fag butt. The article makes clear the smoker was fined £75 for dropping the butt. The rest was down to her contempt for that fine, the reminder letters and contempt for the rest of the process that followed her failure to pay.

So few laws about litter are enforced these days, the smoker probably thought that she could get away without paying and it will come as a shock that it resulted in a prosecution.

It remains to see whether the bailiffs will actually recover a penny of this money.

Phew, thank goodness you pointed that out. On the other hand if Kristina had been as careful about picking her litter as you are about picking your nits, as a borough we'd be £900 the poorer!
Hugh: will you accept that, as it stands, this is a sensationalist Daily Mail type headline? If you put as much care into your own headline as you do into others, this nit-picking wouldn't arise ... my main fear is that this level of attention to litter is a rare occurrence and it will not be sustained ...
No, not really, Clive. A headline's a headline. I think people are smart enough to work the rest out for themselves.
What's next ? swat team smashing my front door down to arrest me at gunpoint, carting me off to prison and a huge fine for not being PC enough. It makes my blood boil.
Chill out James. You'll do yourself an injury. Financial and other sanctions have long been the norm in society as ways of controlling anti-social behaviour. On another thread we've got people wanting enforcement of speed limits. Enforcement would mean fines. We demand enforcement against bad landlords. That can mean fines.

If a problem is deemed a serious enough threat to society's wellbeing, it is enforced against. To be effective it seems, enforcement has to carry a sanction that has weight.

What other method of enforcement would you suggest for littering? Or, is it your view that littering ought not to be enforced against.
Speaking as a colonel of the PC brigade, rest assured that when we come for you, you'll get a polite knock at the door, be given a choice of options and will be asked if you are satisfied with your treatment. You may be given a feedback form and a pre-paid envelope to ensure your voice is heard.
yours
Mrs E
It's a well known fact that there are a few elite persons secretly controlling our lives, this totalitarian behaviour proves it. You'll wake up one morning soon to find we're all wlaking around in a massive prison called UK. If you don't believe me just google 'conspiracy theory' 10 million pages can't be wrong.
Thanks James.
Hugh. I knew you'd eventually see reason after i'd educated you of the facts. Im glad but suprised you are in agreement with me on all i've said. If you would like to attend our meetings (Conspiratists-against-the-elite dot com) i'll send you the latest schedule.
Gobsmacked that you're surprised. With such compelling arguments you must have known you'd win the day.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service