Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Witnesses to a crime on the corner of Beresford Rd & Green Lanes, Wed 11 June around 9.30am

Hello neighbours

A request and a community service announcement:

This morning (Wed 11th) around 9.25am I was standing at the corner of Beresford Rd & Green Lanes, right outside the florist with the big pink sign, when a mugger on a motorcycle mounted the pavement, grabbed my phone and took off. 

I was lucky as he didn't punch me or hurt me: just took the phone and carried on riding on the footpath, the wrong way up Beresford Rd on the south side of the road. 

Many of the motorists who came down Beresford in the minutes following noticed him - it's hard not to notice a motorcyclist at great speed riding not just illegally but dangerously the wrong way down a one way street. I was too distraught to notice much about his appearance, beyond dark clothes, dark gloves, helmet and a mostly black motorcycle. So if anyone witnessed him, or saw what he did when he got up to Wightman (or perhaps went down the passage), or more importantly what he did before he came up and mugged me, I would be grateful if you would post it here or send it to me in a private message. If you were waiting for a bus just outside Blend around 9.25-9.30am, you would have seen him. 

The police were there very swiftly but did not catch him. They think he may have done a similar mugging shortly afterwards in Islington.

I am resigned to the loss of the phone, but am so very sad about the photos and videos I had on the phone that hadn't been downloaded since my most recent backup. Most of all I am grieving for some recent audio recordings of my kids, including one of my little boy making a birthday card for his dad which was lovely and which breaks my heart now that it is lost :(

So the community service announcement is to please go away and backup everything on your phone that is precious - photos & videos of the people you love - and especially the files stored on apps that aren't backed up as part of the regular iCloud backup, or whatever other auto-backup system you have. You can replace the phone, but you can't replace those.

Tags for Forum Posts: mugging, phone, witnesses

Views: 1396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, I don't think people would have reacted in quite the same way to your advice if it hadn't been for your inexplicable rant against women and their irresponsible buggy pushing, road crossing, phone using ways. It was incredibly misogynystic. I know you've apologised but I'm not sure if you understand how offensive what you said was. I try very hard to never get offended online - there's far too much of it around these days - but, I am.

The reason, I suppose is I don't often see men pushing buggies and talking on the phone, but I guess it happens. But yes, extend the advice to men too.

Fully agree with what Michael says here. This is a horrible crime not someone asking for it to happen because of this or that behaviour. The criminal could easily have gone on to injure someone else when making the getaway and clearly did not give a damn. Anyone that intent on stealing/crime, will commit it. 

Very sorry for the loss EA of the content of your phone. 

Since nobody has actually read my post. I've deleted it.

Sorry for any offence caused.

And sorry about your phone EA :-(

@MPSBrownswood (who is a good follow on Twitter if you're into that sort of thing) was saying last week that they had had some moped thefts recently and that they would be used exactly as you have described.

As for the now deleted but supposedly misogynistic comments, muggers don't usually pick on men when they can pick on a woman. That's not misogyny though, that's cowardice.

:-( The same thing happened to me a few years ago and I remember how distraught I was (similarly, it held sentimental photos - the lest few of my cat before she died). I hope someone can help and that they find the b*st*rd!

Shocking! I hope you're ok.

I personally have set up my phone so all that my photos get backed up to Dropbox pretty much instantly. On Android you can also back up all your data, apps and settings to the cloud and retrieve them really easily. It saves you doing manual backups which I find really annoying! Hope this helps.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service