Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Living as I do just adjacent to the festival site, although I can't see (for the trees) what is going on over there, I can certainly hear it.

The first things I heard were pneumatic tools and saws. Now they could be being used to build the barriers, saws to cut the timber and air spanners to bolt it all together. But looking at the erected  barriers on Sunday they look as though they are not newly built. So what was the sawing all about? Not the trees surely?

And then there is the areas as marked on the map. No-where on there does it mention that the lower end of the park road, from the basket ball courts to the Oxford road gate, is a no-go area for vehicles. H&S will be the excuse given I expect as they seem to have a base camp set up on the hard standing next to the road there. By why would they need it? Of all the concerts that have taken place in the park I have never seen this piece of road commandeered in this way. So why now? And the amount of use it was getting certainly didn't warrant this section to be closed. Just one man (who was already sitting there waving drivers away) could come out and temporarily stop any traffic if need be.

So already the agreed rules are being bent a little. 

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events, wireless festival

Views: 2263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since Harringay was better known as the site of a mass-scale entertainment venue than as a residential area for a big chunk of the 20th century you can take comfort in the fact that 60 years ago there'd probably have been much more disturbance...

Enlighten me... what venue was that?

and The Rainbow. I saw Patti Smith there in 1977. It's now given over to sending $$ to Brazil via the UCKG.

Why can't we have Billy Graham back like the old days?  Jesus saves, but Tiago scores on the rebound.

Ach, can't hear a thing this time annoyingly. Maybe the wind is in the wrong direction, hopefully will get a blast or two of Pharrell and Kanye later!

You should come to my house, over a mile away, with enough bass reverb to get the doors jiggling in their frames and plenty of "jump, jump", "make some noise Finsbury Park!". As for the lyrics I hear them but have no idea who they are.

I use the park a lot and it's inconvenient to lose so much for such stretched periods BUT it is good for the area and I for one love a bit of a musical backdrop of a weekend.

I think approach, attitude and all those issues about consideration are key.

Arctic monkeys were fab but the set up was badly signed and the security staff were a bit enthusiastic.

Wireless is also fab but in contrast they have posted lots of signs apologising for the inconvenience and directing users. Added to which the staff have been much more laid back!

It's all about attitude and application.

Everyone keeps saying "it's good for the area".

Do you have any evidence for that?

Is the council / GLA / Met  out of pocket because of this event and the resulting cleanup or are they profiting?

Apologising for inconvenience: they're basically saying, we know we're being dicks, but we're prioritizing profit over you.  Suck it up.

I enjoy having festivals up the park. I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea but three or four weekends is not a big deal.

A bit of a crescendo at the end there but I must say it wasn't too bad tonight although in places I had to turn my TV up a bit. The worst bit just now was minutes before the end, the helicopter flew over, very low and is now doing circles watching the crowds disperse. 

Today I experienced both stages at the same time, couldn't make out which 'noise' was which. But sitting here tonight that bass got louder and louder. The back windows (nearest the park) were vibrating and making a little tune all of their own but in the front my chair was feeling the beat and my tea had sound rings on it's surface. I rang the noise line and when they rang back they asked me if it was still bad but of course by then the whole concert had finished.

Then the helicopter turned up.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service