Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Wightman Road has been open again following the bridge road for a week or so now.  How are people finding things? Is there less congestion on Green Lanes and Turnpike Lake and indeed the ladder roads?

For now there is far less traffic using Wightman Road which is good, as recent discussions have suggested, some traffic simply disappears and many find alternative routes which they find better - that said I suspect it is just a matter of time before it returns to pre-closure levels.

Views: 1965

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

7 minutes on a 29 bus from St Ann's to Manor House, mid-afternoon, instead of well over 15 when Wightman was closed; 9 minutes on a 29 from Manor House back to St Ann's at 6.45pm, instead of around 20+ mins during the closure. Huge improvement. Negligible traffic eastbound on Endymion mid-evening on Tuesday, as opposed to solid tailbacks from Green Lanes to the bend beyond Alroy for the last 5 months. And at 7.50am yesterday, practically no traffic at all southbound from the Salisbury to Manor House, with just a slight delay by the Arena; extraordinary, and especialy so because of the upset caused by the overnight thunderstorms and torrential rain. This early morning change might of course have been a one-off; I'm not normally around at that time to make a comparison.

I don't use Turnpike Lane very often, but on buses at 7pm (westbound) and 11pm (eastbound) last Wednesday it was clear in both directions, as opposed to locked solid all evening, in my experience, during the closure. 

But interestingly the traffic is still incredibly light on Wightman Road so what does that tell us?
That reopening whightman road is good for all concerned, including Whightman road residents.

I take it from both Natasha*'s intrusive double 'h' and her decision on what is good for "Whightman road residents" that she may indeed be a resident of Whightman Road rather than Wightman Road. 

Thank you for the helpful and comments, I am just typing on my phone.

Either that, or a bad case of 'ypercorrection.

Well done, too, Natasha, for presumably winning that vote for spokesperson of all Whightman Road. Congrats.

I agree Natasha.

Hi Karen - I'm not sure I'd agree with the description "incredibly light" - Wightman northbound traffic queues was backed up well past Hampden on Friday morning.

It will be lighter though, so much of our traffic is non-local it will be several months before everyone is aware that Wightman has re-opened.

I think I read somewhere there is a phenomenon observed on the tubes when a line is closed, people have to take a different route - but then when the line is reopened up to 10% of people don't revert back, for whatever reason they prefer the new route they found.

There's also likely to be a time delay before everyone is aware that the road is open again, and there will probably be a gradual return of some or all of the traffic that 'evaporated' during the closure period. i.e. come back in a year, and it may be exactly as it was before the closure.

Don't forget that google etc will be picking up any faster speeds & then directing traffic down those roads - e.g. see this on Google traffic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Traffic

It's a scandal that the council didn't introduce any compensating measures to improve flow on surrounding roads while Wightman was filtered. Otherwise we could all be enjoying faster bus journeys AND lower pollution, safer cycling etc.

Lounge windows closed again because I can't hear my TV over the noise of the passing traffic. Pollution presumably doubling back up to the pre-closure levels and getting woken up by HGVs illegally thundering up the road in the wee small hours. My daughter dodging speeding traffic on her way to school for the new term. Yes, I'm enormously depressed that Wightman Road has opened up again. My quality of life has dimished demonstrably. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service