Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This may not be news to you but not only are Ladder roads affected and Turnpike Lane but the whole of Hornsey Park road is blocked from the junction to Mayes road and beyond. So i turned around and went through Ally Pally to get to Hornsey and the whole of High Street and Priory Road to bottom of Muswell Hill is at a standstill. God knows what rush hour will be like each day and once kids back at school.

That's my rant for the day over.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 14542

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

No, but you can choose a local one in the first place.

@jimmy there have been at least 2 possibly 3 consultations in the last couple of years to try to remove the bollards on Warwick Gardens with a view to permanently blocking it off apart from to cycles (I think its a great idea). The last I heard from Haringey Council is that the plans are off the table until after the traffic review. I do hope they block it of properly.

I've suggested before that Wightman, Endymion, all the ladder roads and all the garden roads should be blocked off with gates with access only for emergency vehicles and residents. This is the case on the other side of the park with the roads between seven sisters road and green lanes and it works well.

If that option is available to you... trust me, that's a very big "if"... I'm assuming you've never actually tried finding a nursery...
I would definitely object to closing WR permanently to traffic as it will make GL a gridlocked nightmare. I can certainly empathise over the lorries though - we should really be trying to get these off our residential roads if there is any way to do so.

The problem is how will your Dustbin be emptied, or large deliveries for all the building work being done on houses in the ladder, if you make it a no go area for Lorries, ok the council can ignore restrictions, but it will make people getting large deliveries or moving a home a nightmare.

I had my bins emptied and (I blush) an Ocado delivery this evening + mail & 2 courier deliveries earlier today so I think that seems to be going ok so far..There was a truck delivering Bricks(?) to a house in the road also earlier today FYI. Speaking of Lorries- it is supposed to be a no go area already for them as the rung roads are officially all weight restricted. (not that this is ever observed it seems). 

Nothing wrong with an Ocado order, we had one this morning... it arrived just before I went to work, in Hatfield at a company called... err ... Ocado! 

Why should all those roads be blocked off?

If they were they would have to block off the roads north of St Ann's Road too. Fair's fair and all that.

Nail on the head, Paulie. For too long the Council has been tinkering with Harringay traffic without any thought as to the knock-on effects of each action.

Recently appointed Cllr McNamara is now doing a root and branch review (the Harringay Traffic Study). I believe that his motivations are genuine. His aim is for a fair distribution of traffic taking into account the needs of all residents as well as businesses. Along with that, the goal is to support quality of life. 

The Council are gathering all the right data and they have the current opportunity to study the effects of traffic displacement. As things stand I have faith that some effective options will be chosen - but the ultimate choice will inevitably be a very tough one. For various reasons tough choices have been off the table for over a decade. I believe that all options are now up for consideration and I hope for a good solution.

I don't really understand why they have chosen force all the traffic up turnpike lane (that used to come up my road) by blocking all the roads next to ducketts common, I didn't mind the traffic that much, and it was much better than having to drive into turnpike lane every day like I now do. I guess I will try and see if I can park north of the great wall of Wightman and walk to my car as i figure its probably quicker.

Fine with me, block those off too!

I don't think it would make GL anymore of a nightmare (is that even possible?) people would be discouraged from using the area as a convenient cut through to somewhere else which would be good for everyone!

I feel GL and the surrounding roads should be used for local traffic (e.g. Driving the kids to school, going to the supermarket, church, mosque etc) not used as a method to get to the Arsenal ground. That route should be the seven sisters road that's built to handle the capacity not a small rat run through wightman road or GL. If you ever see the traffic backing up on WR during rush hour or on match days (it backs up from the roundabout at Finsbury Park well past MOKA) it's a joke. I do not know the resolution but there has to be a way. From a purely NIMBY point of view it's honestly a breath of fresh air cutting the traffic off as it is now.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service