Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This may not be news to you but not only are Ladder roads affected and Turnpike Lane but the whole of Hornsey Park road is blocked from the junction to Mayes road and beyond. So i turned around and went through Ally Pally to get to Hornsey and the whole of High Street and Priory Road to bottom of Muswell Hill is at a standstill. God knows what rush hour will be like each day and once kids back at school.

That's my rant for the day over.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 14603

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed entirely there are practically no useful signs anywhere and none at the end of my road. I got honked and shouted at for cycling up my (closed) road in a *not fast enough* manner for the racing driver behind me yesterday. When i pointed out the road was closed to through traffic and there was no point the driver disagreed and angrily shouted 'no it's not' .. before racing off to .. do a 3 point turn..and then go down the only road out back to where he started. 

I expect the Germans have a word for it.

I know what it is

Laura   I guess they do..     British

or perhaps the saying 'Schief ist englisch und englisch ist modern'...

http://universal_lexikon.deacademic.com/296801/Schief_ist_englisch_...!

As London's population increases there will be less and less space on the road for people to drive private cars. We long ago reached a point where driving cars was quick and convenient - it isn't now and it's just going to get worse. It is sensible to think about other options now. If you ignore this issue you are putting your head in the sand. The amount of space on the road is just one problem with private car use. You DO NOT have the right to take up more space than anyone else on our crowded roads. (Pollution, fossil fuels, noise, safety, etc etc all other issues). Here's a picture to illustrate the space point.

"passed a point" not "reached a point" Obviously.

Then the bus wins hands down doesn't it?  Especially if a Hybrid bus..

Buses are sustainable transport - absolutely. Lots of bus love from me.

I've just spoken with Tony Casale at the council who is aware of the insufficient signage and is coming to the conclusion that;

(a) temporary 'Access Only' signs need to be put up at the bottom of all ladder roads. He has to arrange this with a contractor.

(b) that current signs mentioning numbers on Wightman Rd that are accessible aren't helping stop drivers using the area as a cut through because they are set back too far from the road entrances & don't say much to any driver. He's thinking that it'll be worth putting in new poles at the entrance to ladder roads (a more permanent solution for the 5 mth closure period) so that 'Access only' signs (or similar) can be attached. Poles currently available to the company putting up signs are too far back.

I'd think someone will have to sign off the extra expense first.

Tony is also aware of the other problems such as vehicles driving up onto pavements to avoid barriers. He's hoping to have problems ironed out before school gets back but, is also hoping that by then drivers will have changed their habits/routes.

The driver of the milk float that comes by every day has just moved the barrier at Lausanne so he could get through. Did he move it back? Of course not.

I just posted about this elsewhere- but apparently he's not the only one. It's been open and shut all morning according to a Railway worker.

What I would like to see as a final solution for Wightman Rd is narrowings at either end to stop the endemic HGV traffic from either entering or exiting the Ladder as a shortcut, they could still get access via Green Lanes. I guess this is close enough.

They still need to close off Willoughby Rd at Dogtas or make it exit only. Loads of traffic heading west comes out of West Green Rd there and heads straight into the ladder to avoid the traffic lights around the other side of Duckett's Common. They used to have a very generous traffic light phase to leave from Wightman Rd but now they have to battle out onto Turnpike Lane from Willougby. It's much better allocating the previous time from Wightman to the phase to enter and leave Turnpike Lane at that junction. In theory there should then be very little queuing traffic... unless of course as we suspect this traffic was queuing on residential ladder roads, out of sight, out of mind.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service