Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

On a quick trot down to Turnpike Lane I thought again how pleasant it is to see people out on the street. Click each picture for a clearer version.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 9887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree John, if it's viable it has to be an option - but what would the end game be? Wouldn't it inevitably go the same way as parking charging with a majority of roads ending up being subject to a charge?

I think we've confirmed that 75% of the Wightman traffic is probably not from Haringey, they can pay. Double if they're just driving through.

Well you can't have pockets of congestion charge so the only viable option would be to extend the entire congestion charging zone to roughly the same distance from central London in all directions. The western extension of the congestion charging zone up to Shepherds Bush/Harrow Road was challenged in Court and removed again. Another example of a grand waste of tax payers money. I think we do have to differentiate between what is truly central London and what is not. The solutions for central London, where frankly no-one (apart from the disabled) can justify driving, are not necessarily applicable to areas like Green Lanes in my view.
"Areas like Green Lanes" which bit? Newington Green? Bowes Park? Palmers Green? Or do you mean Harringay?
I mean zones 3 - 6, as compared to zones 1 or 2

In principle variable road charging, as opposed to congestion charging, would be viable. 

Yes I can see how that could work. I think variable road charging makes a lot of sense in general. People like myself who drive small cars infrequently and only off peak would pay less. The gas guzzlers driving at peak times can pay more.... although I'm not sure how the technology works in practice. Does anybody know of anywhere else around the world where they've successfully brought in road charging in a confined urban conurbation?
Singapore has road charging, every car has a meter. Also, extremely high costs to own and run one. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_pricing#Singapore
But it works - and is combined with a good public transport system. Compare it with the ever-worsening situation in KL.
Agreed that it works. Eventually I hope that we'll come to the same realisation that we massively subsidise road use from general taxation, and take the plunge!
The Gardens have been blocked off.

Roads in Woodlands Park (;)) haven't been...

Make no mistake about it, the reason that the Gardens, Hermitage and Harringay Road have all been blocked off and Woodlands Park hasn't is because they have or had strong residents' associations who agitated for change and were able to secure results. There's little logic underpinning the changes in the broader context.

But look at the traffic levels on Salisbury and Woodlands Park as shown on the recent survey. They can't be feeling too good about things. What would happen if the residents of Woodlands Park Road ran a successful campaign to extend the WPR gate to block the road. What then? Where would that traffic go? 

All these things are possible. All we can do is to work together to find a solution.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service