Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Given that we have both a housing and cost of living crisis (and further that Haringey is an unaffordable area to anyone on average or local authority wages) it seems mad to me that a scheme to provide 46 Council homes 'soon' has been stopped half built for half a year. The reinforced concrete framework went up last year plus a few bits of insulation and brickwork but since then nothing. This is a scheme between Haringey Council and the Paul Simon Magic group but perhaps the magic has gone. Does anyone know why?

Views: 3046

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have a look at the current planning application for Omega Works and you'll see why they are waiting. If Omega is given permission as an 8 storey development then the developers of the pub site can reapply for something similar and make much, much more money. 

Thanks for that, this seems so wrong to me, they got planning permission, demolished a great local amenity then don't follow through and presumably the original planning permission has long since lapsed

Neil, Which planning permission has lapsed? The Red House works started building and seemed to be well underway.
Or maybe you're responding to other comments or different sites?
Can I also suggest that Planning reference numbers and clickable links are  helpful; making it easier for everyone to follow a topic. Alternatively, some photos or Google Street view links.
I'm assuming the purpose of this thread is to have informed public discussion. Do please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Oakdale one Alan.

It's called land banking, just sitting waiting as the land value goes up. If they can build  8 storey rather than three, they've made millions by just waiting.

I'm really surprised that Harringay people haven't picked up on the implications of the Omega Works application for the whole area though. If it goes through, any small street in the neighbourhood could end up with eight storeys of flats overshadowing it. Say goodbye to sensitive, small scale infill, things are going to get much bigger!

You're right Anne. We need to fight this. Imagine an eight storey monstrosity going up in the middle of the Ladder or the Gardens. And we can bet oir collective arses that any developmemt development won't be sympathetic to the exiating local architecture.

Perhaps hyperlocalism is now so hyper that warehouses on Hermitage Rd don't interest most people?

Incidentally, most Architects can't afford the property they design. Several live in the local warehouses.

Warehouses?
Perhaps you mean former factories?  And perhaps "warehouse" has a more New York vibe? (We used to have Brooklyn Apartments.
 https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanstanton/3709629181/)

My theory is that the warehouse description was yet another estate agents' sales device. Like renaming neighbourhoods as a "village". Or as part of a posher nearby area.  Like the way Kilburn has shrunk. Or the way Love Lane Estate will be airbrushed out by the totally meaningless "High Road West".

The people responsible for Hale Village originally wanted to name a road there as "Brook Street". Why? Fake history sells well. (It turned out they couldn't legally have two Brook Streets.) 

I dislike the term "warehouses" but that is what they are commonly called on HoL. And your theory is nearly right, "Haringey Warehouse District" was coined by the property owners not residents, many of whom also dislike it. There is a failed planning submission for a huge sign with it on, just off Seven Sisters Rd.

It’s Harringay Watehouse District. Do you have any evidence that it was Shulem or ANO, rather than residents?

As far as potential typos on this subject go, that's probably one of the safest albeit least amusing.

Hugh, Thanks for the explanation! Oddly I can't reply to your question directly but that's what residents I know, say is the case.

Also, none of the various social media groups for the community are called "Harringay Warehouse District" 

(You could also check out how it was named on Google maps if you're looking for more evidence.)

Do you have any evidence of democratic discussion or consensus? 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service