Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It's pancake day today and I've been persuaded to make some American style pancakes for tea. Any tips for better pancakes? What do you think goes best on top of American style pancakes?

For those sticking with European pancakes, what are your favourite toppings?

Personally for the more traditional style, I love a bit of ham and cheese for starters, then chocolate (and ice cream) for sweet. 

Any more?

Tags for Forum Posts: pancakes

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/05/pancakes-yorkshi...

(Classic pancakes at the bottom of the page)

I'm looking for the American style ones Alison mentioned (I've been voted down on classic v American- damn you democracy). I've got a BBC one that looks ok. The key difference seems to be the addition of baking powder.
This is the one I use. No blackberries unfortunately :(
Right Liz. Someone has to repent on behalf of 4000 HOLlers. Your time for hollering will come later. Right Ruth. I'll be fasting for you and your neighbours. Don't spoil them, now.

On second thoughts, I believe Lent was only the old word for Spring before them damn Christians hijacked it:

Lenten ys come with luve to toune

Lenten  ys come with luve to toune,

with blosmen and with briddes roune

that al this blisse bringeth;

dayes-eyes in this dales,

notes suete of nyhtegales,

uch foul song singeth

The threstlecoc him threteth oo;

away is huere wynter woo,

when woderove springeth.

This foules singeth ferly fele,

ant wlyteth on huere wynne wele,

That al the wode ryngeth.

Anon (c.1325)  Engelond

Not a damn sugary pancake in sight, let alone a Guinness.

But since Shrovetide coincides with International Women's Day, if indeed you're an International Woman enjoy your day and your damn American pancakes.

Etymology:  Old English lęncten meaning 

Spring 

First written mention
c1000 Sax. Leechd. II. 148   Nis nan blodlæstid swa god swa on foreweardne lencten.
superseded by Lent

also Easter-day.

First reference a1023   Wulfstan Homilies lviii. 305   Þe ma, þe man mot on lenctene flæsces brucan
The ecclesiastical sense of the word is peculiar to English; in the other Germanic languages the only sense is ‘spring’.
Source: OED
Thank you, OAE, I shall enjoy both the 100 year anniversary of International Women's Day and the pancakes which my husband has volunteered to make. I'm just having the normal American pancakes not the ones from hell, they may be a little scorched for my taste.

The traditional Tottenham ones of my youth were plain with lemon and plenty of sugar..

That's how all my mates at school ate theirs too.. 

Thanks for the reference, Liz. I wonder if Wulfstan made his own pengkeken, or did he burn them like Aelfred?

Trying to win the prize for "most complicated pancake recipe", these are delicious: but probably need more planning than anyone is going to be capable of doing at 5.30 on Shrove Tuesday. 

My favourite savoury filling for "Euro-pancakes" (and what we'll be having later on) is probably grated cheese mixed with sour cream and chives.  Nom.

Lemon & sugar's always a winner for sweet ones, but I reckon stewed fruit or jam are also strong contenders.

American pancakes are good with ultra-crispy bacon and decent maple syrup...

Those look like just the sort of thing my husband would rustle up (if he could get hold of the veal).

I had both types of pancake in the end. On Euro-pancake, I opted for the 'Tottenham Topping' (sugar and lemon juice) and on the American some fruit and toffee sauce which was actually better than it sounds. On balance I think I prefer classical pancakes to their new world cousins. (The Romans liked honey and pepper on theirs apparently)

I see next door on Nora's post TeamBrazil's offering salsa/merengue. Do they mean salsa meringue? Why not an eggy pancake that rises with a chilli-hot topping?  (Don't say I'm not trying!)
Had mine with maple syrup. Delicious!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service