Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It's pancake day today and I've been persuaded to make some American style pancakes for tea. Any tips for better pancakes? What do you think goes best on top of American style pancakes?

For those sticking with European pancakes, what are your favourite toppings?

Personally for the more traditional style, I love a bit of ham and cheese for starters, then chocolate (and ice cream) for sweet. 

Any more?

Tags for Forum Posts: pancakes

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sweet all the way (lemon and sugar, chocolate and banana) although cheese and ham if I really have to pretend I'm eating a "proper" meal.

Had this last night as a pancake alternative: http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/article-view.php?id=2121 (Handed down to me from my half Austrian dad.)

Good old fashioned sugar with lots of fresh orange squeezed all over. About the only time I put sugar on anything so a treat!

I have been practising my flipping for weeks...

We have American pancakes every Sunday for breakfast, which has being doing wonders for my waistline.. Hugh Fearnly Whottsit has the best recipe I've come across. I always mash up a banana and stir that into the milk/butter/egg mix before adding it to the dry ingredients. You can then add a little less sugar. Favourite toppings here are maple syrup and raspberry jam (though not at the same time).

Am looking forward to some European pancakes tonight, and like the orange suggestion - will certainly give that a go.

I love fresh oranges and somehow makes me feel less guilty about the sugar and all the other fattening stuff in pancakes!

Does anyone mind if I shamelessly plug the website I work for here? We have lots of different pancake recipes - check them out if you're looking for inspiration.

Thanks

Videojug

Since I am a fan of Videojug and have successfully followed a video on making brownies from there to great acclaim from the neighbourhood 3 yr olds, I am happy for you to be so shameless.
Mmm! Berry compote with a bit of icing sugar for extra sweetness, blue cheese or banana with melty chocolate buttons...it's all good!

As we live in a Turkish-y area, how about sticking a few baklava into a pancake, rolling it up and munching on that.... gorgeously calorific!

And, here's my usual plug.... do you have an older neighbour nearby who perhaps might like a pancake if you've got any spare? But you would have to check they are not diabetic first.

It's Shrove Tuesday today, when you shrive all your old sins and, following Carnevale, bid farewell to flesh and the flesh for the next Forty Days. The pancakes are just a means of not wasting the last dustings of flour from your flour bin and larder. You're allowed to mix them with spring water, drop them on the griddle and share them. Lemon or preferably lime, maybe, but only if it's bitter. None of your decadent bloody toppings, and certainly no sugar, you hear? And spare us your guilt-alleviating 'older neighbour' guff, Ruth. Let them get on with their shriving and start their fast a few hours early.

I bet our early modern forefathers had stacks of sugar on theirs...they used to make plates from sugar.  

I take it you'll be covering your head with ashes, wearing sackcloth, and fasting from tomorrow OAE. 

I'm not alleviating guilt actually- I do a job about promoting good neighbouring, that's all.

Nor will there be guilt about sugar and decadence on top of pancakes. Like most other Christian traditions, it's all about eating and consumerism now.

so- get eating!

I see you won't be giving up your sharp tongue for Lent OAE.

Just doing a little googling for Hugh Fearnly wotsit's recipe (no luck yet) and discovered this interesting fact. Before the 18th century, it was just as common to use wine or brandy in your batter as milk and in Brittany, beer. Perhaps if we slipped a slug of something into OAE's good neighbour pancake, he'd mellow out a little. A pint of Guinness with a whisky chaser maybe.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service