Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Walking past the Laundrette at 603, next to Jam in a Jar, I realised that the shop looks like it hasn't changed since the mid-20th Century. 

In 1938 it was the Star Furnishing Store. So the laundrette arrived at some point after that. 

Does anyone know when? Are there any shops left that have been around for longer?

Views: 857

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Disney's was probably one of the oldest ones to recently go. I wonder if The Gold Bar (79) is a contender?.

Surely HoL must be in the running?

Cheeky! We're 20 years old next July.

How about Medlocks Electrical Hugh ??

Aha! Yes, I should have thought about the Medlocks. Wrote about them here as part of the Beresford Backlands story. Thanks, John.

Funny thing, I now live in Norfolk and only just yesterday, in Norwich, I passed a Medlocks delivery van !  But nothing like their vans were back in my day in Harringay. Then, they were in Tate and Lyle's Golden Syrup coloured livery.  Green vans with gold signage.  On the front was "Here comes another Medlock's delivery".  While on rear : "There Goes Another Medlock's Delivery" or "You Just Missed Another Medlock's Delivery". Never forget them, always caught my eye.  Yesterdays Medlock van was plain white with dark lettering. Huh !

I have been using Kiran's laundrette every week for many years. When I see him next, I shall ask him how long he has been at it

Destiny has been working the corner of Conway and Green Lanes since 1976.

Conway and Green Lanes? Not sure that they intersect anywhere, do they?

They don't. I meant corner of Conway and Glenwood (passing trade from the estate alleyway) and Green Lanes separately. But, as they say, she gets around.

RSS

Advertising

© 2026   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service