Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It seems to me that over the past two or three weeks, mask-wearing in public transport seems to have declined from relatively high levels to something like 25%. What happened?

Views: 818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The mask we commonly wear does not prevent viruses passing through - a specific medical grade mask would be required for that - they prevent viruses from travelling as far.  There a very simple experiment you can do to show how they work.  Light a candle, stand about 4 feet away and blow it out.  There’s a good chance you can do this.  Then light the candle again, put a mask on and stand four feet away.  Now try to blow it out.

it is precisely the same principle as the time honoured “Cover your mouth and nose with a hanky when you sneeze”.  What you exhale doesn’t travel as far and therefore posses a risk to fewer people.

I read a rather good quote this morning “If the science is right wearing a mask will help prevent the spread of Covid.  If it’s wrong it’s just a bit of cloth”

Oh no. I have tickets and that's put me right off attending now.

178 Covid deaths yesterday should be focusing minds more..... too many just dont keep up with the news.

Chilling Stat from the Zoe Covid update video yesterday

900+people a day are getting/being diagnosed with Long Covid. 

900 people every day, the legacy of this has major implications for those people and also society. 

The Govt have given the message that it's now just part of life and we need to "learn to live with Covid". But surely any sensible risk assessment would have mandatory mask wearing in shops, public transport, theatres and other spaces where people interact indoors as a basic containment measure.

Instead mask wearing has been bundled in with lockdowns, travel restrictions and furlough as though it impinges massively on personal freedoms. Lockdowns and travel restrictions are clearly major limits on personal freedom, but wearing a mask whilst going about your business for the protection of yourself and others and to limit the damage to society, surely that's a small thing to ask. I wear specs, and specs and mask are not a great combo, #steamysindows, but I'm still wearing my mask in shops, on tubes and anywhere indoors with others unless eating or drinking.

Sadly this government seem scared of social togetherness and the idea of a cohesive society. Their divide and conquer culture wars show this clearly. 

sorry for the rant, happy Friday y'alls. 

Couldn’t agree with you more, Paul. Lack of public government focus on infections and deaths (no more daily briefings, even from scientists who know what they’re talking about, let alone waffling ministers, and barely any press releases) suggests either complete disengagement in Whitehall or tacit complicity in the “herd immunity” policy that had to be denied in 2020 once the implications of the death toll became clear. I use FFP2 masks (the white ones that fit tightly across the nose and chin) rather than the thin blue ones — which admittedly are less uncomfortable, especially with glasses — and will continue to do so on transport, in shops and inside public places for as long as necessary, which I’m guessing means well into next year. I want to neither get nor spread any virus.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service