Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi All

It's my first post...so be gentle...

My wife and I are moving to St Ann's road...and will obviously have the same questions most people have... What's the area like? Safe? What is chestnuts primary like? Other schools? etc...

...but...one thing we really wanted to know was...does anyone know what the two red buildings are on the corner of Cleveland Gardens/St Ann's Road?

Google maps shows some people sitting out the front selling old office furniture, but it looks like that was a long time ago.

And...what is St Ann's road like - noise/safety-wise?

We know there seems to be a decent amount of cars travelling up and down (at speed unfortunately) and there's a hospital down the road too - so wondered if anyone around there hears a lot of sirens?

And safety-wise? As good as any other street in Haringay?

Thanks - and great to see such a great community aspect on here - so looking forward to helpful replies.

Thanks

Kieran

Tags for Forum Posts: about, harringay, hospital, local, noise, red, shops, st ann's, traffic

Views: 1502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There was the little matter of a murder on St Anns Road some two years back....
http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/salisbury-pub-incident?...

And you think that's typical of St Ann's Road ?

Mere scaremongering.

No. Just a statement of fact. I wouldn't want someone to move into an area, find out about it after the fact and then think "why did no one mention that before". I don't think any area of London is immune from crime and it wouldn't (indeed hasn't) put me off living here.

Thanks Antoinette - and you're right...it's not great that it happened but always good to know about just in case... I saw it lead to an article about a betting shop being held up on Green Lanes 7 years ago as well...but once again... 7 years ago! And that could also happen anywhere!

Also, this is London, stuff happens everywhere. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a crime free area anywhere esp if you start going back through the years. Perception of crime is often higher than actuality. I've lived just off st Ann's Rd for almost 12 years. The only crime I've been directly affected by was a bag snatch around 6 yrs ago on seven sisters Rd, no violence but v annoying. Other than that I've called the police a few times to report road collisions, a van break in, a bunch of kids with a knife (who weren't interested in me walking past, just posturing to each other), aggressive begging, etc. Don't know if I've led a charmed life but I do not think that's so bad for 12 years.

Thanks Anne-Marie, I think it's just that I'm always super cautious...so safety is always my main concern and have been lucky to rent in areas that are relatively safe - so just moving to Harringay I wanted to be reassured :-) And, even this forum etc helps a lot - knowing everyone is looking out for each other.

I've walked along St Ann's Rd nearly every day for  18 years. In all that time I was approached once - ONCE ! by a young woman who offered sex in exchange for money.

I don't think that makes St Ann's a hotbed of sin and depravity to be avoided by decent people.

Similarly, I don't think one death two years ago ( which by all accounts was manslaughter, not murder ) is relevant in the context of Kieran's enquiry.

I think John D is to be commended for his perseverance. ?350 days x 18 amounts to a lot of wear on shoe leather for one solitary encounter. Bon chance, mon ami! 

I used to live at the Green Lanes end of St Ann's Road 7 or 8 years ago. There were a lot of ambulances then, one of the things I remember about that flat.

Thanks Andrew... That was the one main worry! Hopefully it's either gotten better over the years, or they were only putting the sirens on much closer to the Green Lanes end than we'll be situated! Did you find it was so often you had to move?

I lived there for over three years so it wasn't too bad. It was a particularly warm flat where we had the windows open for most of the summer so it was particularly noticeable. It was less of an issue with the windows closed.

We were near the junction so possibly there was more of a need to put the sirens on.

Thanks Andrew, and it's clear I'm a just a bit of a worry-wart...I'm aware of that! haha - but guessing no one's had any issues with the mental health hospital down the road too... As that's something else I'm sure someone would've mentioned if there had been any issues...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service