Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It seems the West Green Tavern is on the market. 

By the look of the details given on rightmove the pub will stay, with the opportunity to develop housing upstairs. 

Does anyone local have strong feelings about what should/ should happen to the building. What would locals like to see in the area? A decent pub would be a nice addition to WGR I think!

Tags for Forum Posts: pub, west green road

Views: 6790

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well it seems that the developers who purchased the West Green Tavern had no intention of it ever remaining a pub.

Its lease is now on the market as a 'retail property' in a 'former pub':

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/commercial/details/46132858?search...

original listing from the agents:

http://www.psscommercial.com/properties/property/1096-68-west-green...

The developer seems to have form in this regard, as North London CAMRA points out here:

https://whatpub.com/pubs/NLD/5756/west-green-tavern-south-tottenham

" [the developers] also own the Grosvenor SW9 where they are pursuing flats above 'with retention of the PH' but have, since the pln applic was made, leased the g/f to the Co-op. The flats application there has still not been determined"

It seems a shame that another Tottenham pub is biting the dust, and that the developer is acting against the spirit of the planning application, which was granted on the basis that the ground floor pub should be retained.

Unfortunately the shift of use from class A4 to A1 is permissible, so there doesn't seem like there's much that can be done to prevent its disappearance. 

I may be mistaken though, does anyone have any ideas?

I'm afraid there seems to be an inevitability to how these things play out in Haringey even when the Council put in place "stringent planning conditions" to retain a premises as a pub. There simply isn't sufficient will in the Council to safeguard assets that aren't deemed to have sufficient political value. 

The Salisbury used to be the same, until it was improved. It takes the right owner - and enough demand of course.

Yes, but there are smaller places elsewhere that have been retained for use as watering/food venues that contribute positively to the uplift. This is a great loctaion. How big is is Cage Lemon that migrated to Tottenham from Green Lanes. 

Do we want another shop selling phones miscellany or afro hair and fashion? You are one of those who have always cried out for better establishments. And political will CAN change things if there is positive vision. Unfortunately We suffer from having a bully in charge with a sycophantic following and various with vested interests playing jockey to obtain the highest short term results. 

Sigh.....!

Whilst I appreciate them being there, they’re not pubs or a replacement of one.

Unfortunately that seems to be very true in Haringey. It’s such a shame - the area cries for a decent pub! Anyone got any news re the Lord Palmerston apart from the lease being up for grabs again?

Past by the Lord P this afternoon and from top deck of 341 bus it looked open with lights on and someone behind the bar!

Yes, but the new owner’s (Shoreditch Bars Group) done nothing to it after his licensing application and request to extend opening times till 5am was turned down. He’s put the license up for sale again for 50k. Needs some work done but the owner seems to think it’s not worth it after his plans for a 3 storey club were shattered.

The Goat on West Green Road is currently being converted into flats too. I wonder what the street frontage will look like once the security roller blinds are gone.

Well that would kill my hopes of it ever reopening again as a pub.

It was my local for 25 years, through good times and dodgy.

Hear hear

Tragedy they closed it down and ripped out the fine interior to turn it into a cash converters that lasted about a week...

Are you sure its going to be flats?

I walked pasted the other day (shutters up) and the material on the wall looked like it was made for a shops shelving system. I thought it was on the road to be another supermarket.

Was a planning application submitted for change of use?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service