Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It seems the West Green Tavern is on the market. 

By the look of the details given on rightmove the pub will stay, with the opportunity to develop housing upstairs. 

Does anyone local have strong feelings about what should/ should happen to the building. What would locals like to see in the area? A decent pub would be a nice addition to WGR I think!

Tags for Forum Posts: pub, west green road

Views: 6791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks foe the advice.

Had a quick look through the documents. Interestingly, the Beehive was unsuccessful in becoming a ACV:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/list_of_unsucc...

I was Spokesperson for the Save the Hope Action Committee (SHAC) which secured ACV status for the Hope & Anchor Pub in Tottenham Lane N8 last June. Happy to give further advice on the process if required. 

Andrew, can that work if the pub is currently closed/vacant?

Billy - the property was sold in 2016 but the ground floor pub is now available for lease (with alcohol licence).  I spoke with the agency managing it and they said there is no space for a kitchen -so no option for a Salisbury/Beehive-type pub, unfortunately. Apparently they are trying to arrange an open viewing at some point in the next few weeks. Interesting to see if anyone takes it over.

Hi Billy - ah that is a shame! Do you think there would still be the same kind or resistance now?  I was thinking something along the lines of the places you mentioned. Having a nice start-up community type pub/bar on that part of WGR would be great, in my opinion! The building and location have so much potential, would be sad to see it be turned into flats. Especially when there are so few other pubs in that area. I realise I'm probably being a bit idealistic, though!

Hmm, that's no good! I'll do some research. Thanks for the info Billy :)

Elle, I'm sorry you've been told lies by William Hoyle (aka) Billy Hole. I have no knowledge of West Green Tavern and no knowledge or involvement in any plans Mr Hoyle and others may have had in the building.

He claims that "several years ago" he was "scared off" by my "activism" and "abuse" - I assume he means asking legitimate questions about the use of public money - about Chicken Town and the Styx Bar. This claim is rather odd since the Styx Bar only opened on 11 June 2015 and Chicken Town Restaurant opened in November 2015.
I am not aware of any public subsidy to Craving Coffee and as far as I'm aware this business is fully commercial. If I have posted anything which might have suggested the contrary then I apologise to them.

Yes, I have asked public questions about public funding/subsidy for private businesses. So what? I think that if people take public money or premises to subsidise their private businesses that should be open and transparent.
Perhaps when Will Hoyle refers to something which happened "several years ago", he means my comments about the subsidy given to John McAslan architects. I have no regret whatever at drawing attention to the fact that this very successful international architects' practice was given a subsidised studio in Tottenham High Road at a cost to the Council of at least £181,548. Having benefited from this freebie they were later awarded two large building contracts.

I have no idea what Mr Hoyle means by my "pet projects" as I don't have any. If I visit a restaurant, theatre, pastry shop, museum,  bookshop, charity shop, market, shopping mall, or anywhere else - I pay my own bill / for my own tickets etc.  If I think a commercial place is good, I may recommend it to other people.
I never accept freebies; and nobody is my "pet".

Hi Alan, 

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to get myself in the middle of any disagreements - just interested to hear people's views on the West Green Tavern. Sounds like you'd have no opposition to it being preserved as a community pub, from what you've said, so that's nice to hear! 

Thanks Elle. I've no "opposition" to, or any comment on anyone's plans for this pub building because I don't know anything about it. Frankly, when it was open I don't think I've ever been inside. Nor expressed any views about anyone or anything connected to this pub.
I've not a clue what Will Hoyle is talking about when he mentions his own plans "several years ago". My memory may be faulty, but as far as I can recall, his comment today is the first time I've ever heard anyone mention this pub building.
As Mr Hoyle says, I was a councillor for many years. But no longer. As he correctly says I do tweet and occasionally make Freedom of Information Act requests using the website Whatdotheyknow.com .
I also have a public photoblog on Flicker. You are welcome to take a look. Good luck with your project!

It's such a shame that the vocal minority stop the area getting better and put off investors. Shame on them.

Ellie. No - the building/land must currently be providing something that falls within the definition of "asset of community value". PS I dont know the Pubs or the area you guys are talking about. The Hope in Tottenham  Lane was (and is) at the core of a small community and a central meeting place and it was not difficult to show that it was an essential part of that community.  

Hi Andrew, thanks for your reply - yes sadly not applicable in this situation! Congrats on your work with the Hope :)

Ellie. Yes, your situation sounds very different. Without the Hope the local community would have been destroyed. Planning law is complicated and recently changed (eg Localism Act 2011) but if the ACV thing comes up in your area Haringey Council have an online application form and guidance and I am happy to share the Hope experience - local communities should assert their legal rights; the law is too important to be left to the lawyers.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service