Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We're constantly having to restart our router and the service often goes off completely for periods of time.

Any suggestions for a decent service that I can use instead?

Tags for Forum Posts: broadband, internet, supplier, virgin media, wifi

Views: 1530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks a good solution. I wish I saw it before getting the Asus.

I've been with Virgin for several years and it's the best one I've used in Harringay. Anything coming via the BT line was dreadfully slow, especially in the evenings. I found such a difference when we switched to Virgin.

I have almost given up on them a few times because of the patchy service and it have been dropping in and out a bit in the last month or so. It was at its worst about a year ago when I lost broadband for nearly 3 days, I think they were upgrading.

They upgraded my rooter a couple of years ago for free, so it might we worth asking them if you can get an upgrade if you're having to reboot it all the time.

Thanks yes we do regular restarts but that's the problem we're trying to get away from - some days we have to restart the box twice a day.

I had BT ADSL internet previously in my flat in N1. It was horrible. Constant downtimes, and unbelievably slow. 

Conversely, since moving to N8, I've had Virgin Media's fibre broadband product. It's at least 20X faster than what I had with BT ADSL, and way more reliable. I can't think of a single outage over the past year. 

We do use a separate router (Apple Extreme) for wifi and ethernet in the house. Perhaps you should look into that if it's not service outages? Or perhaps you can get an engineer to review your line? Threatening to leave should expedite the appointment. 

Mostly geek features, and in some cases, reliability. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/187439/should-you-buy-a-router-if-your-isp...

If it's all working fine then you probably don't need one. Virgin routers are based on netgear and they're ok featureswise for everyday internet browsing. You'd probably be looking at £80 plus to replace it with something better (for the latest Virgin router).

The wifi isn't amazing on them though so I bought an additional wi-fi module that covers my whole flat which was worth the extra expense.

After many delays - your Virgin Media upgrade will be in March then May then August - a hub 3  arrived.
I just need to make time to plug it in and do the other stuff set out in the leaflet which came with it.

Any helpful tips from other people who've already gone though this process?

We had BT in the area for 4 years, then last year we moved across the street and tried to move BT with us.

They because SO FRUSTRATING AND AWFUL to deal with, after 4 months of paying for phone and internet we still were not getting, we switched to Virgin which sorted out internet within a week. we do have trouble sometimes but the ease of dealing with Virgin far outweighs any problems... for now. I will NEVER return to BT, they are an awful conglomerate that steal people's money.

well, that's my opinion anyway. Many mobile companies are now doing broadband, have you checked with EE or O2?

We've had Virgin for over a year on the ladders and the broadband has been fine.  They just gave me a free upgrade from 100MB to 150MB service. 

I used to work with their customer service teams and they are very helpful.  If you have a fault, please call them on 150.  They will investigate the signal strength, noise levels etc on your line and send an engineer out to resolve.  Any days you have not had service they will credit if you ask.

Their Superhubs are good pieces of kit which they will support if you have any problems or queries.

If you really want to move, BT Infinity are a good alternative.  They have the least contention with other customers on their network.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service