Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is anyone having to reboot their router/modem regularly with Virgin Broadband? We're having to do it at least once a day. I think it may be a problem with their servers locally so if I notice a disconnect I will post the time on here, I would appreciate if others could do the same.

Tags for Forum Posts: broadband, consumer complaints, virgin media

Views: 807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Netgear router, when it comes to anything Mac related these folk aren't clued up. It's often easier and quicker to solve the problems yourself.
Virgin always supply the modem and they can supply you with a wi-fi router. I use this, because I am a geek.
John - we too have the same problem. Don't use it daily - but almost everytime we want to use it - we have to re-boot router and tv! Have also queried it with Virgin and get same old lame excuse - re-boot and try again, - great but could you tell me why I pay all this money to have to re-boot everytime I want to use the internet!
OK, for people who don't notice when it went down because they don't use it often, please bookmark this link:

http://192.168.100.1

It will take you to your virgin modem, even if the internets are not responding. Click on the "event log" link and copy it. Reboot whatever else you need to reboot (usually modem + router) and paste the event log that you copied into this discussion.

Thanks
John

With quite a number of people reporting problems here, maybe you want to call in Virgin's area manager and set up a public meeting. Bet Virgin will be keen on that option!
Yes, ours has been going down every evening for the past few weeks. Usually from about 6pm. Even if we reboot everything late in the evening (9 or 10pm), it is still down. We've lived in the area for over two years and have always experienced intermittent problems with the Virgin broadband service. It takes a while to convince them there is a problem but eventually someone comes and fiddles with the box out on the street or replaces the router and then it's OK again (for a while)
As requested: connection failed around 11pm on Wednesday 6th, and didn't reconnect before 1am despite a few unplug-replug attempts with the router. Just had another brief outage (around 1am Friday 8th).
It's worth mentioning that if you're vaguely techie and generally frustrated by calling VM's support line, you'll probably get a bit more satisfaction from the newsgroup virginmedia.support.broadband.cable (which exists only on their server, news.virginmedia.com). I think the idea is that if you understand how to get to it, you'll probably be savvy enough to have checked the obvious snags with your own equipment.

Have a look at some prior posts to see what kind of info they need to look into a problem - and you'll often get a reply within hours. I've even seen call-outs booked for later the same day.
Oh I've had a really good look on those forums and I've replaced a modem and a router and checked out my cabling. Those forums point to problems at Virgin and I just need to correlate my outages with some people around me. Carolafan had an outage at pretty much the same time as me and she is on the same street. Co-incidence? I think not.
I'm not a techie and don't follow the discussion above. I do however, take the advice of a helpful woman in India. When my modem stops connecting (which it does every couple of days) I turn off both modem and router. Then power-on while it "acquires a network address". Presumably this is "rebooting" as John McMullan mentions. The fact that this was the immediate advice of Virgin Media's Call Centre staff suggests the problem may be very common across the U.K.

While this is a nuisance, I get nothing like the chronic daily hassles described by HoL members.

Can I suggest this is a perfect situation for local collective action. In other words, a Harringay User Group to make a formal link with Virgin Media and get these problems tackled properly. (Not just one customer at a time.) Virgin have two excellent reasons to respond positively ─ the company's reputation and its profits.
Alan, every couple of days is unacceptable. Other services do not have this problem.

Collective action is why I started this thread. Once I can prove it's not our fault as users I'll try to get something "collective" happening. A list of accounts ready to switch to Sky+ might be a start.
As I have documented here and on the HOL blog, Virgin Media cabinets are very poorly maintained in this area. It can take weeks or months for anyone to fix a broken door and often cables end up spilling out. The small cabinet in my street has NEVER had a door and I have had little joy in finding anyone who gives a damn.

When problems are occuring very locally like this one (I had real problems in the Autumn) surely this poor maintenance must be a factor in quality of service.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service