Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In a long reply on another post on HMOs last week, I concluded with the following paragraphs:

Summary

In essence this is where we are at today:

1. The Council has recognised that there will be a substantial increase in demand for HMOs.
  2. New legislation frees up the supply of housing available for use as HMOs.
  3. The Council has chosen not to use available powers to limit that supply because they say it is too expensive.
  4. Instead they have opted for an approach which depends on managing the quality of HMOs and relies solely on enforcement.

So what’s the likely result? Well You tell me, but what I see is that unless the Council decide to use Article 4, with the liberalised controls, the increased demand for HMOs will be met with an increased supply; the Council's enforcement team will do their best to police HMO quality, but if Council performance on the control of illegal conversions is anything to go by the impact will be limited.

What's the Solution?

I'd like to hear that I'm wrong in drawing the conclusions that I do, but it seems to me that we desperately need Article 4. Other Councils seem to agree. They're applying for it.  Haringey say it’s too expensive. What exactly is the cost? I’d like to see the Council’s report on that.

I’ve been told that much of the cost is in the need to apply for the powers. However, in a previous post I quoted the Royal Planning Institute:

“Most importantly the Minister is also advising that councils with policies already limiting HMO development in parts of their locality, can bring in Article 4 Directions straightaway, without notice, to coincide with the national policy change.”

The problem we had with the spread of gambling establishments was principally an issue with national legislation that the Council had little influence on. With this issue, the Council has the power to control the unmanaged spread of HMOs. If five years down the line, the borough is witnessing multiple problems as a result of an explosion of HMOs we will be justified in pointing the finger at the Council as being responsible and justified in holding them accountable for failing to use the powers that are available.

I'm posting here just to check if folk think we should consider applying pressure for Article 4 or just let the fates do their worst?

Tags for Forum Posts: HMOs Article 4, hmos, new hmo controls, 2011

Views: 1800

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alan,

I've been looking on from the sidelines since my comment a week or so ago. I previously had another engagement tomorrow which has now been cancelled and can now make tomorrows meeting with Nilgun and the AD for Planning etc. Unless you have any objections to my attending I propose to join yourself and the others at 6pm at reception in the Civic Centre.

Trust thats ok ?

Gordon K

I don't think Alan will be there this time, Gordon. Whilst he's most welcome, this is something I arranged for Harringay residents. Look forward to seeing you there.

Hugh,

Sorry for the slip up. See you tomorrow 5.55pm in reception area. GK

Shame, can't make it, I'm at work! Can someone please take some minutes and post here?

Michelle, I've drawn the attention of Cllr Nilgun Canver to your comment today. I've so far been unable to get her to publicly release the papers of the HMO Working Party. When I finally do, I think your input could be valuable.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

There should not and need not be any issue, Michelle. But there is, so this afternoon I made a Freedom of Information Request which people can read here on WhatDoTheyKnow.com website.

My request explains not just what I want made public, but why. My request ends by referring to the very last section of Heather Brooke's book The Silent State. This is headed Trust the People. She writes:

"The idea that the powerful know best and that we, the general public, can't be trusted with the facts or any real power to manage our own affairs is a pernicious fantasy. It's not irrational to fear the unthinking mob, but the best way to counter this danger is to ensure that the electorate are educated and informed. That is why it is so ironic that politicians fight so hard to keep people uninformed and ignorant."

An update. Today Haringey's Freedom of Information Act team asked me to clarify my request.

This is such a damning post Michelle, thank you.

It points to a number of issues that certainly strike a chord with me and my experiences (and other people's) over the last few years - particularly relating to the number of Planning staff, their abilities and their perception of their roles and responsibilties. I'm still not clear about the relative merits of what Haringey have adopted vs what other councils are doing - but I completely agree that their past record on this, and their committment to tackling the problem, is rather woeful. 

Michelle, I am horrified! Great post. Alan, thanks for staying on this. This is such an important issue, and it has such an impact on all our lives, I cannot believe the council takes it so lightly.

Dear All

As a member of the HMO working group which is meeting tonight, I 'll be drawing attention to Michelle's absolutely crystal clear posting. I've alsojust searched the Barking and Dagenham website for their Article 4 Direction. It's all there for you to read. Here's the link.

They seem to have similar problems to Haringey. I'll keep you posted. I htink its absolutely vital that residents across the borough are involved in these discussions as the impact of poorly regulated and badly managed HMOs can affect every one of us, including people who have to live in them.

Zena Brabazon

Councillor, St. Ann's Ward

Yes pls lets apply pressure. There are so many eyesores in the borough already and I'm more than happy to take the council to task on this one. I imagine there are staff in the planning department who are also disappointed with this short sighted decision who may be happy to help us (covertly of course!)

Hugh,

None of us who attended the mtg last Tues 26th July with Cllr Canver & Marc Dorfman AD of Planning appear to have posted anything so i thought i better say something. Myself, Cllr Zena Brabazon and yourself Hugh plus 3 other HoL colleagues were present - forgive me everyone for not making a proper note of names. I think its fair to say that we all expressed our concerns & exasperation at the current position in Haringey re. the build up not just of HMOs but generally of very, very poor pvt landlordism across the borough and our absolute frustration at the lack of apparent bite & more importantly the lack of willingness of council officers or elected members to take effective action where it was both necessary & available to the council.

Having said that I personally felt that there was some merit in the points that met Marc Dorfman set out around the implicit limitations around adoption solely of an Article 4 direction even if it were possible. I think there was a lot of shared belief that - whether we have a Article 4 directions intro'd or not -  we need to see much much more evidence of proper proactive policing & regulation of private properties in the borough and the use of all existing byelaws, street enforcement & H&S legislation etc etc to stamp hard on all offending ASBO landlords.

Marc Dorfman promised to take a walk around a number of streets which a nos of us referenced to him. And i think that both he and Cllr Canver were made fully aware that all residents attending felt that even restricted budgets and cuts were no excuse for the absolute lack of punitive or pro-action by Haringey council in this critical area of HMO's thus far. A possible licensing scheme for all private landlords was mentioned and this is something which I could give support to as long as its implementation was swift and was implemented with teeth. 

I could go on but i'll cut here and leave anyone else who attended to comment.

Cheers GK

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service