Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

''Twitter's for twats. You can overcommunicate; we're communicating piffle. You don't need to tell everyone you've just had a crap ....''

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'intellectuals texting' - runs for cover.
Edwardians postcarding is one thing. With Twitter you get mass followings. But is it what is being said that is interesting or just an extension of 'celebrity culture' ... ? Sarah Brown has just pipped Stephen Fry into no.1 spot ... so maybe QI indeed. :)
Eh, Matt what's the problem..?

these people watch TV and listen to radio too.. But I suppose they are on your no-no list as well!?!
Why this obsession with the celebrity angle? That really is a very minor point.

You follow someone who has interesting stuff to say or link to. It's a great network for dipping into and picking up stuff that you might not come across in the usual course of things. It's a fun way to have short conversations. It can be a source of useful info about stuff that you want to keep an eye on. I 'follow' a couple of musicians I like not because I think I can 'talk' to them but because they tell us about upcoming gigs/albums etc. No different from getting an RSS feed.

Sure some people may think they will get a bit closer to famous people, but they also probably write fan letters and stand around in the freezing cold for autographs. Obsession with celebrity was not born on Twitter. You could argue that in fact mainstream rags like the Mail and 'entertainment' channels like ITV2 feed this much more than Twitter ever could.

Ultimately, its just a tool that can be used for social good, frivolity, promoting democracy or reinforcing tyranny. Like paper, like books, like TV. If you don't like it, don't use it. Why waste your breath trashing people who do?

Street Porter has made her fortune peddling celebrity to the masses with her youf culture programmes. I don't remember her doing much in depth stuff mainly people shouting into mics and walking around. If anyone is to blame with obsessions about celebrity toast, its her. Funny how these people who work in mediums that rely on celebs and people's interest in them can't wait to rubbish it and get all holier than thou about the value of a good walk/book/blah blah.

p.s. @Stephenbln just read a fascinating article about flash mobbing used by German trade unions which I found and sent to you on Twitter
@Liz - have seen it and replied.. :o}
So what the hell's wrong with smoke signals or talking drums?
Yes, I know the Greens will have a policy on both. Pollution.
Twitter gives people a VOICE. Think Iran.
That is a good example.
Another example: Jan Moir's Daily Mail outrage.
And finally, a piece from the FT with advice to companies on how to use Twitter for PR.

How to save your reputation from an online onslaught

Can we give over on Twitter bashing now?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service