Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone has any experience of dealing with Haringey council regarding tree root damage to their property?  We have a council tree right outside our flat and the roots seem to have unsettled our front path. I've submitted a claim to the tree department but they are insisting that we conduct thousands of pounds worth of surveys and checks before they take it forward. If anyone has already been through this process and has any advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Views: 412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Katy - I am one of a group of residents who joined together to revive Haringey Tree Wardens a few years back. Although we're completely independent of the council, we work with the Council's Tree department who help us with expertise and data for our monthly walks, talks etc so we know them quite well.

As a result, we sometimes get contacted by other residents about nearby trees.

If we can help in any way, please let us know. Post details here or send me a message if you wish to guard your privacy or email  comms@haringeytreewardens.org.uk - we are on your side :)

Hi Chris - there are several trees planted at the pavement edge on Birstall Road, Greenfield Road and Beaconsfield Road, all N15, which have eroded the pavement quite a lot, leading to extremely uneven pavements.  (There may well be others, but this is a route I do regularly.)  Although we haven't had any snow/ice this winter - touching wood - whenever these areas are covered by the stuff, it's memory which causes pedestrians to take extra care.  If a complete stranger walked this route, especially in the dark, there could be dire consequences, especially if the person had difficulty walking.  I feel these areas are accidents waiting to happen...

Thanks for the alert Bridget - really helps.

Here's a Birstall Road photo from Google Streetview dated Sep 2009 -

presumably when the Google car drove down Birstall again, somehow they left the old one there. Here's the one dated May 2012: http://goo.gl/maps/sJs80 Has it changed much?  New trees need around three years to get established  - the aim being to make them self-sufficient so any watering at all is good, according to this guide. They should be de-staked and the guards removed sometime in Year 4.

The Aboricultural Dept have a rolling programme to plant trees in the many Haringey streets where there are none but they have hardly any money. Nonetheless they plant more than they have to remove.

Here's Greenfield Road around the corner:

These have been there a long time and occupy more than half the pavement, making the surrounding pavement a dangerous trip hazard.

Is this what you mean?

Hi Chris - yes, definitely.  You should see the one in Beaconsfield too - the whole of the pavement between the tree and the wall is dangerous.  It's on the right as you go up, with West Green Road behind you.  (I also get very irritated by folk dumping their rubbish inside the metal circular tree supports!)

Thanks Bridget - there's only one tree mature enough to be a problem that I can see on the July 2012 streetview of Beaconsfield Road (http://goo.gl/maps/12kLU) - between Nos 59 and 61 - is that it?

Here's a closer view (July 2102) http://goo.gl/maps/LGYqE:

Just trying to pinpoint it using these two-year old photos - no doubt it's changed a lot since- does the wall that is damaged belong to a resident do you think?

Think that could be the one.  I'll get my neighbour to check when she goes to swim on Sunday morning (I've been going to the one at Victoria while the works are going on at TGLC so don't do that walk 4 times a week at the moment) and get back to you on Monday if that's ok?

Hey no hurry - what the Tree Dept do is fix any problems they can fix.  Trees by their very nature can burst pavements - they don't usually but changes underground are hard to plan for. Every city local authority in the world has the same nut to crack - we need the benefit street trees bring yet there is a price to be paid.

There are some tech solutions (Camden I think it is have tried a resin-based tarmaccy substance that allows the trees to breathe, but doesn't ever crack).

Nothing beats a Tree Officer - they can go so far as digging up the street, pruning the roots, then re-covering the pavement if it will save a tree - it's also about juggling resources given the huge number of trees they care for with less money than ever.

I spoke to them today about the one in Beaconsfield Road as they look at the whole 'sweep' of a street when deciding on an intervention so even if it's not that exact tree they'll find the problem one and in due course some activity will take place. In my experience they have spotted things (like diseases that could spread to other street trees) that others might miss - it's surprisingly complex!

Most helpful thing is if you can help identify the problematic ones (even knowing which street they are in is useful, then let us know what actually happens. If you want to go further they will consult you - we're all keen to reflect views and empower people - it helps the treescape. 

That's great to hear Chris - thanks.  Will let you know what's going on when I hear/see.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service