Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Three caravans and 2 camper vans seem to have set up home in Downhills Park.

Views: 6338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And to give them credit where it's due it doesn't look like they've left a trail of destruction in their wake, which is good. 

One of their small party broke in and robbed the local cafe in a very short time didn't they ?

There are very obviously people living in their cars all over Haringey if you look. outside Fairland park early in the morning you can see them sleeping or just waking up.

Yes, I live next to the Caradon Way estate where there are people living in vans. They've introduced parking controls and that seems to have seen off the largest van, but there are three others that people appear to be living in - plus several on Avenue Road next door.  They go to the toilet next to where I walk through the estate on my way to Seven Sisters.  A hedge was cut down on Sturrock Close where I live to try to stop them using the space behind it as a toilet.  There is a settled traveller family living on Caradon Way who were throwing their dirty nappies over the fence to the space between the hedge and the wall.  It's pretty nasty.  Though it's even worse now that the hedge is gone and I have a view of all of the mess.

We live near Downhills Park and our school (Harris Academy) is situated right next to the park and our kids play there every day. The news that travellers have taken pitch in the park spread between parents right away, not for the fact that they 'moved in' when the gates were open for maintainance, but because their kids right away nicked a scooter at the cafe and would only return it against lollies, they sang really rude songs (in the presence of smaller children) and (here a quote from a report my friend put on facebook) 'trashed the new cafè and messed up the toilets'. Furthermore they drove their trailers on footpaths - needless to say not a safe option where small children play.

I'm not prejudiced, and have worked with travellers myself, but this is simply ruthless and inconsiderate behaviour - no matter who does it.

They have overnight broken the lock on the gate to Chestnuts Park and set up in the north west corner.
The answer is pretty simple. Provide legitimate spaces where they can pitch.
I Bet the council doesn't get inundated with letters for that though.
Where would you say is a legitimate place in the borough? Maybe if they head for N8 then a legitimate place may come up quicker?
Well, a list of residential development sites was highlighted by big bad Boris. I'd have thought that you ought to find some space in that for traveler sites.
Yer developers won't want to build the inevitable luxury apartments next to it though. But why can't architects, given their creativity, come up with beautiful facilities for the traveler sites required??
Ha ha, nice one. But why not??
The council used to have a statutory obligation to provide sites ( maybe they still do). I don't think that travelers are animals and why would they not look after (and use properly) great sites provided for the purpose.??

There might be some folk within this discussion interested in watching this documentary about the original gypsies of Rajasthan;  https://youtu.be/aNUYGRn3W9Q

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service