Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Cllr Schmitz and I visited the Depot before Christmas last year. One of the things I brought up with the First Group managers was the ongoing problem of screeching train wheels which particularly affects Wightman Road residents whose properties back onto the railway. This is an ongoing frustration to residents particular in the summer months.

They have taken the issue away and looked at the causes and ways to remedy it. I have received a letter explaining what steps have been taken so far.

Their track manager has assessed the problems and steadily improved the track at Hornsey depot. Last month, specifically, they lifted and relaid '23 road' - the track lane that runs into the main depot building closest to neighbouring houses. This was tight (hence the noise) and needed regauging. The reduction in noise for residents, however, may have been less noticeable as the screeching was happening just inside the building, not outside.

In addition, their track manager has been gradually renewing the points that switch trains from one track to another on the approach to the main building. This in itself reduces the noise generated by passing trains. The last of these, 'number 8 points' had had to be closed because of its poor state. They have now been renewed which allows them to move some of the heavy traffic away from the east side of the depot and away from their neighbours. The full improvement will be felt once their staff have been fully rebriefed in route learning for the restored layout so they can make use of it. That should be completed by the end of February (it takes this long to complete the training because of the rostering arrangements).

Their track manager has also installed a greaser at the head of the yard which means that every train entering the depot receives a dose of grease on its passing wheels which will again deliver a significant improvement.

I would be very grateful for any feedback from residents on this issue, please let me know if you think there is an improvement, or if there is not and I can continue to drive this issue forward.

Cllr Karen Alexander
>

Tags for Forum Posts: embankment, noise, railway, railway noise, train noise

Views: 744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to First Capital Connect various amounts of tinkering have been done to the points and track in the vincinity which they hope will address the problem.  Of course we all know it hasn't done any such thing - this warm weather just excerbates the problem and us poor residents on the track behind Wightman still have to put up with the screeching!

I have asked for a site visit, for them to visit us but essentially continued dialogue on this.  I continue to plug away - I am afraid it is likely to be slow progress!

Oooooops! If I'd seen this post first I'd have realised that the problem is in FCC's Hornsey Depot where FCC ARE responsible for the track! Just another example of the confusing mess that our railways are these days!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service