Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Cllr Schmitz and I visited the Depot before Christmas last year. One of the things I brought up with the First Group managers was the ongoing problem of screeching train wheels which particularly affects Wightman Road residents whose properties back onto the railway. This is an ongoing frustration to residents particular in the summer months.

They have taken the issue away and looked at the causes and ways to remedy it. I have received a letter explaining what steps have been taken so far.

Their track manager has assessed the problems and steadily improved the track at Hornsey depot. Last month, specifically, they lifted and relaid '23 road' - the track lane that runs into the main depot building closest to neighbouring houses. This was tight (hence the noise) and needed regauging. The reduction in noise for residents, however, may have been less noticeable as the screeching was happening just inside the building, not outside.

In addition, their track manager has been gradually renewing the points that switch trains from one track to another on the approach to the main building. This in itself reduces the noise generated by passing trains. The last of these, 'number 8 points' had had to be closed because of its poor state. They have now been renewed which allows them to move some of the heavy traffic away from the east side of the depot and away from their neighbours. The full improvement will be felt once their staff have been fully rebriefed in route learning for the restored layout so they can make use of it. That should be completed by the end of February (it takes this long to complete the training because of the rostering arrangements).

Their track manager has also installed a greaser at the head of the yard which means that every train entering the depot receives a dose of grease on its passing wheels which will again deliver a significant improvement.

I would be very grateful for any feedback from residents on this issue, please let me know if you think there is an improvement, or if there is not and I can continue to drive this issue forward.

Cllr Karen Alexander
>

Tags for Forum Posts: embankment, noise, railway, railway noise, train noise

Views: 744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Karen

Thanks for chasing this. It becomes more of a problem at this time of year when the windows are left open. So far the screeching is still the same...

Hi Karen

I'm afraid I suspect the rail company is just paying lip service.. no improvement at all to the screeching on the track. Unbearable last few days.

Please can you follow up with them, and maybe get some dates for the 'new set of points'?

A date of delivery, once implemented, at least gives us something concrete to compare the current situation with the remedied one.

Thanks

Graeme, have you ever suggested watering the rails?

Here in Berlin we had a similar problem with a particular curvy subway line (above ground).. The residents were up in arms at screechy trains every 5 minutes 24/7 in both directions.

A solution was found by installing watering systems along the whole stretch, that turn on automatically when a train approaches, thus easing the metal to metal contact..

You might be able to make out the water jets on this shot:

http://www.isarsteve.de/wp-content/uploads/5867061578_8375bd3a0c_b.jpg

taken from this blog posting: http://www.isarsteve.de/?p=1822

Perhaps that is an answer to your problem..?

I have this evening contacted the rail company to get an update on the situation - you are right the noise has been terrible over the last few weeks and particularly bad this evening!  I will continue to hassle them
Thanks Karen, hassle is key here :)

Interesting feedback Stephen, thanks

when it rains, the noise does not seem to be a factor, so perhaps it is the way forward. Is it cost effective for a rail company to install these? 

I  doubt they are 'cost effective' - but certainly help in railway public relations.. so maybe that is considered cost-effective?

They need to be cleaned regularly** - but seem to have had a good effect, they've been in service for two years now and are still working..

Of course, they can't be used when the temperatures are below freezing.. but that's less of problem in London.

**might be a problem in the UK?

Thanks for your efforts so far Karen.  Might be worth mentioning that there are other noise abatement techniques they could investigate in addition to water jets which might be cheaper, such as increasing the height of walls, more shrubs and trees, mounds of earth and also man made structures which can be attached to the sidings to reduce sound waves.

Summer is here and so are the screeching trains on the railway track behind homes on Wightman Road.  Is it my imagination or is it worse than ever?

I have contacted First Capital Connect again today for an update on the work that was being done to try and reduce the noise.  I had a very swift response from the interim head of communications and another colleague to say that they would investigate and come back to me.  I'll keep you posted.

Hi Karen, thanks for contacting them again, and I agree, it's worse than ever.

I think they're just paying you lip service now. How else can we get them to act? Is there some kind of EU/UK noise pollution directive we can look at?

Yes I agree with Graham. This is not a new issue, it's been going on forever and you have mentioned it to them before. I would like to know what they are going to do to solve the problem and not just "investigate"! I don't know if it's getting worse but it certainly isn't getting nay better!

Any updates on the train screeching saga?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service