Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Anyone able to give us an update on what happened at the traffic study meeting on Monday? One of the steering group members have suggested "The next couple of months could be critical and we will need to lobby", so would be good if we could all be kept updated on what happens at the meetings.

On a related note, these from the HCC meeting minutes:
 (1) Gary Smith of LBH is working on a 2-way scheme for Tottenham lane existing 1-way section
(2) There are sketch proposals for a W bound segregated cycle lane on Turnpike Lane W from Wightman Rd.
(3) Wightman Rd:
- it was agreed the pinch points must go
- filtering ladder roads at the lane a possibility but would increase travel distances for residents traveling E/W.
- Pavement parking should be removed, parking one side of road (alternating) possible.
- Introduce zebra crossings.
- There should be a timed N bound cycle lane on green Lanes as a minimum.

Those all sound interesting. (1) could help a lot with all the congestion that was around the bus stop by the New River there while Wightman was closed. That (2) means up the hill under the railway bridge I think, would be good, I usually ride on the footpath there as the road seems too dangerous.  

Views: 3435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers.

I looked at the power point document and thought you got the summary there! I didn't see those definitions till I made my way into the medium list document this evening.

I don't quite understand what those blue circles mean on the power point document.

My earlier point about Willoughby below is correct. It is not a "rung road" in my view but access to 5 of them like a sort of mini Green Lanes. So it stands to reason it would thus have that level of use. Bless the group for adding Warham on their own accord as it wasn't even a long list item. Either of the "discourage" options would surely help, but bollards or Wightman filtering for the win.

Is Willoughby Road actually a through traffic problem? I always reckoned it's volume is largely owing to the fact that it is the only way to get on about 5 of the ladder roads from Green Lanes. So it stands to reason it will have a higher volume.

The amount of traffic using Willoughby is huge. More than any other Ladder rung road and second only to Wightman. Unless the people living on those five roads have multiple cars per households and they drive them around the block several times a day I think the likelihood of it all being local is pretty remote!

OK. My recollection of the stats is that it was 33% more than Warham Road which is the most vehicled on the ladder by a lot, but the Warham is one road and the other is how five are served. Anyhow, my real interest is as above: the definition of "discourage"!

As a cyclist those islands on Wightman Road make it the most dangerous bit from the ladder to Angel where I work. I hope and look forward to their being gone.

A rough and ready way to look at it is to assume 100 cars owned per road (which is generous I think) and that each of them moves twice a day (generous again, judging by the vegetation under the car wheels on my street some move far less frequently). So that makes 200 resident vehicle movements per day, per road. 1,000 movements per day for the five roads in question. Willoughby carries around 3,700 per day so way over what you would expect for local traffic.

By that analysis Warham is by far the worse off.

200 moves per day whilst the study shows >2500.  That's over 10x what ought to be the local volume whereas Willoughby is shy of ~4x.

Interested in what people think about the options for Wightman Road.

Options 1&2, and 4&5 all say "Move pavement parking onto the carriageway on Wightman Road (one or both sides)". I'd be very supportive of that; the current parking arrangements very much make pedestrians second class citizens (and in some cases don't really allow access at all - eg if you have a pram). But is it really possible to do this without either making Wightman one way (option 3) or only allowing parking on one side of the street, which presumably would be resisted by local residents because it would effectively halve the available parking? 

That makes me lean towards option 3 (Wightman one way with a cycle lane and parking sorted out as above). I've wondered about this option over the years, as I can't see another way of resolving some of Wightman's other problems given that there is no magic wand to widen the road! It would be great to see a proper two way cycle lane there. (I work near Tavistock place where they are trialling a one way system, with a two way cycle lane, and it has transformed the area as a place to walk and cycle in - but I'm told has resulted in congestion elsewhere.)

What do others think? 

Package 3 of Wightman one-way only going North bound does seem the more appealing of the 5 options:
 - it about halves the volume of traffic using Wightman
 - it gets parking off the Wightman footpaths
 - it gets a proper cycle lane along Wightman
 - the Warham traffic would be solved as lots of it wont be able to turn south
 - it would also reduce traffic on Fairfax which is another of the top busy roads

Presumably Wightman would have to remain two way from north of Hampden Rd to allow access to the railway yard, so with nothing else all those southbound cars would try to go via the northern Ladder rungs to Willoughby / Frobisher / Green Lanes which doesn't sound much fun. Package 3 does also include "discourage through traffic on Willoughby" though, so maybe there is something to deal with that.

Package 3 is the only option because they can' t move parked cars off the pavements & keep 2 way traffic on Wightman. There simply isn't enough room! Surely the consultants know this ...

They can if parking is only on the West side. This will also improve visibility coming out of the ladder roads onto Wightman.

The council implements option 3, then decides to make Green Lanes one way (which I've heard it has long yearned for?). We're now living in the middle of one big gyratory.

If the consultation involves the wider area, I can't see any option which pushes traffic onto Green Lanes being very popular.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service