Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tracker firm boss criticises 'disinterested' police investigation into Harringay bike theft

Sam Jackson is angry at the police response to his bike being stolen

The owner of a software firm has criticised police efforts to recover a stolen motorbike fitted with one of his tracking devices.

Sam Jackson's Yamaha R6 bike was stolen from outside his house more than two weeks ago, but police say there is little they can do to get it back despite knowing which road is currently being stored in.

David Martin, managing director of Acutrac Ltd, which made the GPS tracker fitted to Mr Jackson's bike, said he is “speechless” police officers have not taken more action.

He said: “I can't believe how badly the police have dealt with this.

“We have dealt with police on many bike thefts, and in general they are brilliant, but in this case they have taken a lackadaisical attitude – it's the slowest and least interested I've ever known police to be.”

Mr Jackson, 27, discovered his bike had been stolen during the night on October 28.

But when he called Haringey Police to tell them it was a few streets away from his Pemberton Road home, he was asked to go and get it himself – advice a senior officer has since admitted was wrong.

The bike was on the move again that afternoon, and is believed to be currently in a lock-up garage in Anthony Way, in Upper Edmonton.

Police said: “Officers attended the postcode area that the tracker was indicating in Enfield and found no trace of the vehicle in the street.

"The officers attending found a large number of lock-up garages in the area, however without a more specific location, police do not have the powers to be able to take further action.”

However, Mr Martin, who is in contact with Mr Jackson but has not been called by police, said the movement of the bike can narrow the search down to a handful of garages.

He said: “We know with a serious amount of confidence it is in one of three garages.

“If they go to the guy who lets them out and ask who has the garages, then I'm sure they will get somewhere.

“But they haven't handled this the best so far.”

Mr Martin added vehicles fitted with his trackers have been recovered in all but two cases in the last five years, and some bikes found in lock-up garages have been stored with other stolen vehicles.

The bike has been put on a national database of stolen items, and will be flagged up if stopped on the road. And police added: “We urge the victim to contact us if his system is able to provide a more specific location as to the whereabouts of the vehicle”.

Story from Haringey Independent 

Tags for Forum Posts: motorbike theft

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope Haringey Independent would expect every police investigation to be disinterested.

I bet his battery on the GPS runs out by the time they actually get on to it.

What a great lead for the police to follow up swiftly.

Have to hope the thief doesnt read HoL or it will be moved from the garage by now - likely to be dumped in the river.

Biker 'thrilled' after stolen motorcycle recovered by Haringey Police

Article in Haringey Independent

Eight other stolen motorbikes recovered from shipping container; police following leads to find the thieves

Thanks for the update, Clive.

Indeed. The police could hardly have had a better lead. It's also a tribute to the technology. When tracker systems were first brought in I seem to remember a news item about a (stolen) valuable car being recovered from a shipping container ... stacked with dozens of others, on board a container ship, about to set sail overseas.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service