Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: london troubles

Views: 3417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've just come back from Tottenham Hale. It has been stripped. I stood and watched last night as they did it. The only way the police could have stopped it would have been to send in several hundred cops in armoured cars, or better, in a tank. sending a handful of patrol cars they would have been torched.  It was simply taking advantage of the police being totally outnumbered. The cops were busy protecting both ends of the high road by the nick.

The people doing the looting were not, from observation, the same as those doing the brick throwing. They were adults, in newish cars, cramming them with as many TVs as they could fit in. This was greed, not revenge, or a cry for justice. It was party time.

Most people this morning just look stunned. Tottenham Hale is closed for the forseeable. The only shop that didnt get looted was B&Q. There is not a phone to be bought anywhere. Check boot sales locally if you want one.

I blogged some riot pics as at 4 am. Will do the shop ones later. Now it's breakfast and shower time. I feel grubby. 

I've just deleted a post that was calling for the most severe retribution. I understand the sadness, but I don't want this site to be used for intemperate calls for reaction. A couple of posts were deletd with it. I apologise to those posters, but they made no sense without the original post. Please feel free to repost. Any temperate posts welcome.
No worries, Hugh. I agree with your deleting it Hugh, all I said was that the view was abhorrent anyway.
It wasn't actually. It was pointing out that the "severe retribution" wished for was unfortunately illegal.
Er yes. And that reactionary view is not one that helps anybody. Leave it alone, Anette.

Never. I'm soooo sick of the PC brigade blaming everyone other than the people responsible. Why are the police being blamed? Why are the polive always being blamed? And never the crminals?

Yes, it's sad what's happened, and yes, I feel really sorry for all the innocent people affected by this - but let's stop accepting and make excuses for the lowlife responsible. People have brains and free will, it's not like they were forced to do this. They have not been policed properly? Neither have I, and I don't loot and throw bricks. And before you all jump on me: you have NO idea how I grew up. None. So leave that one out.

If not calling for an underclass to be killed means I'm part of the PC brigade then so be it. If you carry your views to their ultimate conclusion you are just as violent as some of the idiots who clearly relished what happened last night. And I might add, you know nothing about how I grew up either. I don't think anyone on here has blamed the police or excused the violence. Calling for more violence helps no-one.

Ladies, ladies please. !

There is a legitimate question I think as to why the police chose to try and arrest the gang member on a public street, with guns. Apparently this was a 'planned' arrest. Why didn't they just go to his address in the middle of the night, as they normally do?

It appears the gang member was/is from Broadwater Farm Estate, which would probably explain the bit about why he wasn't arrested at his address;

1985: Policeman killed in Tottenham riots

Another policeman was shot and injured after a night of horrific violence between the police and hundreds of black and white youths.

By midnight 58 policemen and 24 other people have been taken to hospital.

It is the first time shots have been fired in a British riot.'

'A police officer has been stabbed to death during riots at the Broadwater Farm housing estate in Tottenham, North London.

It is the first time shots have been fired in a British riot.

Maybe that reporter meant "in a riot on the mainland of Great Britain."

I'm reliably informed that one or two shots may have been discharged in 'riots' before 1985 in odd little corners across that globe-spanning expanse that once was painted pink.

The Broadwater Farm riots were very different from last night. They were sparked by the death of Cynthia Jarrett, who died while being arrested for an immigration offence IIRC. Ms Jarrett was no Mark Duggan.  And again IIRC, it was about running battles between the locals and the police, not about burning down random shops and homes. The low point was that having killed PC Blakelock, they were trying to cut his head off.
Am so sad about this. Tottenham has been villified, ignored and left to rot over the years. The reasons behind it are clear. But this kinds of violence is just crazy. It's terrible. I don't know what to say anymore I'm so upset by it.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service