Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't see a link to the article on Time Out's front page.

Quote: ... the stretch between Turnpike Lane and Manor House tube stations will be closed off to traffic. I wish! It's actually from Salisbury Rd down to the bridge.

Re the image: step behind the banner and into the Salisbury for a quiet pint of London Pride if the crowds do end up swamping Grand Parade from all over London this Sunday.
Love it. The passage is an "atmospheric shortcut" apparently!!
Afternoon all. I'm coming to this very late, and apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I get the sense that HOL/some members aren't too happy about the food festival. Can someone explain why? I think it's a great idea. Surely the food shops and restaurants of Green Lanes - a high street full of independents! - are a selling point for the area and deserve our support.

Don't want to start a row, just to understand...
Yes, please explain the negativity - I know lots of people who are travelling all the way from the wilds of South London for this and are really looking forward to it...
I have friends in south and west London and in Suffolk, who visit me frequently and we always eat at restaurants in Green Lanes, that's what it is known for, the food ! They will certainly come to sample the festive occasion at the food stalls, the other activities can be found at other places in London, although it's great for us who live around here to get to know our culturely diverse neighbours.
I think that a year ago, we had the idea that the festival was to have a much wider scope and not just be about food.

I may be wrong, but I think there's a feeling that this was originally a community idea and it has been hijacked by the Council and the traders.

That said, I'm sure it's going to be a terrific event.
Ah right, I see. Thing is, Harringay is best known for its food, whether we like it or not. I guess the decision is whether this is just for residents or for people from outside the area. I'm certainly viewing it as a positive event and a chance for friends far and wide to come to my manor.
Ah, that's interesting. There are music and local history elements as well, aren't there? I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it's received on the day - and whether it could be the start of something bigger/more general. I do agree with my sister's comment above, though, about Green Lanes being best known for food, certainly among Londoners...
I don't think any of these comment are intended as negative towards the festival. I think a couple of people are just having a laugh at the way the Harringay passage was described. Or, did you have some other comments in mind?
More generally, on other discussions about the festival. Perhaps I've posted this in the wrong place. No problem with anyone talking about dog turds in Harringay passage!
Well we all know about the passage. Or Sh*tpan Alley, as I've always called it!
I'm attaching the survey run by HoL asking what people wanted. Not a bad match.
Attachments:

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service