Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The value of Conservation Areas - an project for Harringay Council or student doing a dissertation?

i remembered a previous discussion on making the harringay ladder a conservation area and thought that I would post this.  not sure if there has been any further thought on this with Harringay Council, but perhaps one of the Councillors might be interested in picking it up?  harringay may have changed too much over the years to be designated a conservation area, an officer or Historical Conservation student would have to investigate this.  But they can be useful with Art. 4 directions to stop uPVC windows and overdevelopment of houses in planning applications, etc.  My personal opinion is that harringay has got historical value and this is a useful exercise. 

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/research/social-and...

Views: 431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would have though Green Lanes has potential as it's the continuous strip of it that adds value (until it hits Woood Green of course).

However - don't believe that LBH Labour Group has any respect for conservation areas, as if it suits them they are happy to tear down key buildings in one and replace it with hideous tower blocks. May be useful re PVC windows etc and tidying up shop fronts as in North Tottenham.

Yes Colin, HARRINGAY Council would be a very good idea. I'm fed up paying Council Tax for the deprived losers of Crouch End, Highgate and Muswell Hill. I suppose the Salisbury will be our new Town Hall. But I'm keeping my uPVC windows when the Conservation Revolution comes. They're 30 years old and deserve to be called 'Heritage' as much as their shabby Victorian surrounds.

We do now have that option, Eddie. A neighbourhood council for Harringay. They're looking at setting one up in Crouch End.

Colin, Harringay is a Ward in the London Borough of Haringey. Harringay is about 5 to 10% of the area of Haringey.

To turn to your substantive point, I'm not sure if you're interested in Conservation Areas in Harringay or in Haringey. I agree with pamish about Council respect for Conservation Areas. This council appears not to take them seriously.

First they might declare an area a Conservation Area, which in theory affords it protection against some kinds of unwanted development.

But later, the council might decide to connive with a big property developer. The Conservation Area they established is abandoned and the historical aspects replaced with "Memory Boxes", AKA Memory Panels (these are official Haringey Planning Service terms and not a spoof or wind-up).

Please refer to the recent Haringey Planning Committee decision over Wards Corner. What we've learnt is that "Conservation Area" has little meaning or value: its merely an area set aside, pending development with Memory Boxes.

I think serious thought needs to be given to a conservation area on The Ladder. From Warham Road down to the south, the views of the New River from the bridges are beautiful and deserve to be preserved. North and South Harringay schools are a positive contribution to the streetscape. St Paul's church, the New River path. How would we get the ball rolling? If anyone has ideas I'm willing to front it.

Well bulldoze AP isn't quite accurate, but selling off our Charity's premises to Firoka would probably have led to the destruction of the BBC's 1936 television studios.

Last year I expressed surprise to the then Deputy Mayor (now Mayor) that a Labour Council was prepared to give a hugely generous deal to a former slum landlord. Firoz Kassam was well known to have a ruthless reputation (see Oxford United Football club) and who may still be trying to sue our Charity (that's us) for £6,200,000.

Answer: "the council will do business with anyone who has money"

Incidentally, Ally Pally is a Grade 2 Listed building. Listing status was earlier fought for by a local resident and was, I understand, bitterly opposed by the now disgraced former General Manager, effectively a council officer. This listing would have counted for little against the intentions of the developer.

(Harringay might be a ward, Clive, but more important than it being the name for an arbitrarily drawn administrative district which people don't really give two hoots about, it's a neighbourhood where people live that includes one whole ward and parts of two others. Colin just miswrote. Give 'im a break, gents).

Sorry, I should know it's Haringey council by now, but I was thinking the ladder for a conservation area as it's an area i am very familiar with.  Glad you think it's a good idea Michael.  In terms of the Council tearing the designation up, they cant just do that.  They would have to fully consult the public wrt the designation and also wrt undesignating an area. A forum such as this could kick up a stink and even go to Judical Review if they didn't consult or tore up any SPD or policy document. Councillors can influence the Head of the Planning Service at Haringey to include work like this in the Service Plan.  Officers and Community Groups like Harringayonline would carry out the work.  I thought you had very active Councillors in this group. Worth giving it a go.  Maybe at least getting it on next year agenda?

Anyway I thought I would put it out there, but I guess you guys know HARINGEY better

Oh Colin, how sweet. They can do what they want to do with conservation areas. They are thugs.

Well, there's a lesson for you Colin. Smile and the world of Harringay Online smiles with with you.

The repercussions of bullying.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service