Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

FROM the archives of the Alexandra Palace Television Society ...

PANORAMA: The Spaghetti Harvest of 1957 

On April 1, 1957 the British television programme Panorama broadcast a three-minute segment about a bumper spaghetti harvest in southern Switzerland. The success of the crop was attributed both to an unusually mild winter and to the virtual disappearance of the spaghetti weevil.

The audience heard Richard Dimbleby, the shows highly respected anchor, discussing the details of the spaghetti crop as they watched video footage of a Swiss family pulling pasta off spaghetti trees and placing it into baskets. The segment concluded with the assurance that, For those who love this dish, theres nothing like real, home-grown spaghetti.

Tags for Forum Posts: 1957, April, Harvest, Panorama, Spaghetti, fool

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a classic - thanks for sharing. Of course, those interested in living the dream of growing spaghetti in their back garden should investigate this wonderful vegetable. Mine are still in the process of germinating, but hopefully by Autumn there will be a genuine spaghetti harvest!
They did another one about the treacle mines of derbyshire.
My family still talk about this April Fool.

Google has their own bit of fun with their Google Translate function
I booked our honeymoon in San Serriffe in the early summer of 1977. So far I've had no honeymoon and no refund. Anyone know where their embassy or consulate is?
BMW are offering 'political wheel caps' for their customers.
http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw_prat.jpg
Yes, your support of BMW and Gilette is noted. Hopefully we can return to our regular, not overly advertised at, programme.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service