Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It's not only France that will be deciding who takes the big decisions for the foreseeable future.

We have our own local elections shortly.

So, if you want a Council that cannot tell the difference between fly-tipping and putting out a bin bag 40 mins before the allotted time - vote Labour in the local Council elections on 5 May.

Story in the Ham & High

Crouch End woman fined £400 for putting bins out 40 minutes early

Views: 1522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is patently NOT fly-tipping. I think most sensible people can distinguish between fly-tipping and putting out your weekly black bin liner. If Haringey Council cannot then they do not deserve to be in office.

In case they are unable to see the difference: 

Fly-tipping: large quantities of household effects, (e.g. mattresses, damaged furniture, white goods) typically dumped a good distance from the owner's home.

Weekly household rubbish: a black bin bag left outside owner's home. 

At the very least the Council should have initially issued a warning. Their response was totally off the scale in terms of the punishment fitting the 'crime'.

No doubt they need to re-coup revenue lost following financial loss on ill-judged property deals: - 

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/local-council/haringey-council-spend...

"How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m'"

Not the rod I would use to beat Labour. I would use the ridiculous waste of money Haringey Labour have squandered over the years and their stupid ideas of street renaming. I would suggest you vote either Lib Dem or Tory. Get an alternative party running Haringey. What's the worst that could happen, you could vote them out the next time and it will give Labour pause for thought as they have gotten away with it since the 60s and its bred nothing but laziness & an overwhelming sense of whatever they plan they'll get away with it. 

Lib dem actually have a chance tbh.

Cons are a bigger mess.

Labour 

- Ripped up 200 trees in Finsbury park this month.

- Spent £10m over Market Price to buy an office (possibly ina corrupt manner)

- Spent 10's thousands to rename a park and road.

- Rented council plots to their mates free of charge.

- Missed all its self-set housing targets.

-Binnd off a regeneration of Tottenham we all know would benefit residents and not just activists.

- Missed out on TFL grants due to ineptitude.

- Can't seem to run council services to save their lives - takes about a month to hear back about parking charges or Homes for Haringey repairs.

- Momentum council deposed.

All in all. Failure.

You missed some HiskyO: - 

Haringey - The greatest number of complaints upheld to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman of any London Borough.

"It was rapped for a number of offences, including not sufficiently supporting a family threatened with homelessness, delaying housing applications, inadequate care assessments and miscalculating council tax.   

In a letter to Haringey, ombudsman Michael King said in one case involving a family threatened with homelessness some officers “were unaware of current law, or your own procedures or had chosen to disregard them”.

It was also criticised for failing to remedy complaints. “Disappointingly, in a separate case, we had to register a new complaint when the council failed to comply with the recommendations it had agreed to after we found fault in a housing benefit case,” Mr King said."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-ombudsman-complaints-...

And not forgetting: - 

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crime/police-investigation-into-hari...

"Councillors questioned by police in Haringey fraud investigation."

"The Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) published a report last month after investigating why the council paid more than £2million for a house – valued at £850,000 – to facilitate the regeneration, but did not treat the owner of a neighbouring house equally.

The LGO said it had repeatedly asked Haringey Council to hand over correspondence pertaining to the sale of the first house.

But, it wrote in a report: “The council has failed to provide any information about that contact, despite our repeated requests.”

More of the same...

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crouch-end-choir-covers-haringey-cou...

Choir covers 'appalling' £400 fly-tipping fine for child's desk.

As much as I like to raise Haringey Labour's issues I disagree over this. What is the difference between a person putting out an item of theirs onto the street and someone dumping their rubbish onto the street? Not much in my opinion as "nice " middle class flytipping is as bad as any other flytipping in my opinion as the end result is the same. People's no longer wanted items littering the street and causing an eyesore. An elderly or sight impaired person can still trip over an item dumped on the pavement no matter the intention behind it.

I think you may have missed my post above highlighting the difference between fly-tipping and putting out your own single black bag of household rubbish for collection in 40 mins time. Re-posted below: - 

This is patently NOT fly-tipping. I think most sensible people can distinguish between fly-tipping and putting out your weekly black bin liner. If Haringey Council cannot then they do not deserve to be in office.

In case they are unable to see the difference: 

Fly-tipping: large quantities of household effects, (e.g. mattresses, damaged furniture, white goods) typically dumped a good distance from the owner's home.

Weekly household rubbish: a black bin bag left outside owner's home. 

At the very least the Council should have initially issued a warning. Their response was totally off the scale in terms of the punishment fitting the 'crime'.

No doubt they need to re-coup revenue lost following financial loss on ill-judged property deals: - 

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/local-council/haringey-council-spend...

"How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m'"

It wasn’t “weekly household rubbish”. This person had two opportunities a day, seven days a week, to put their rubbish out at the right time. And do you really want Veolia to knock on every door when they see an item on the footpath to find out if someone has chucked our a bit of rubbish they didn’t want to pay for or if they are just being “nice”?

It was a black bin liner. (Have you read the article?)

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/local-council/crouch-end-resident-sl...

Government guidance states that councils cannot issue penalties for “minor problems”, such as when householders “leave receptacles out for a few hours before a collection”. The guidance, published in 2018, says councils should first issue a written warning and only issue penalties when residents fail to comply. 

Haringey Council contravened that guidance. 

Well if this is in fact the case then Haringey should return the fine, but they won't unless it's challenged.  My issue is not with the bin bag but is with the woman who dumped a table onto the street outside claiming "Community recycling". 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service